Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Yesterdays Bum Run = Bum Day

Yesterday's "Bum Run" really did a number on me. Where do I start?

As I have reported recently, I'm not losing as much weight as expected. That's probably because I'm consuming nearly 800 extra calories per day! I did a little research concerning my BMR and RMR in relationship to my output and found some significant issues with my diet plan. I have been "Shooting off the Hip" that my BMR was 2500 with an activity factor of 1.4, plus an average output of 1500. After emailing Catherine Kruppa, I learned that my BMR is closer to 1900 with a multiplying factor of 1.2. I'll do all the math for you... in order to lose 2 pounds per week I need to average about 2280 calories per day. See the problem?

So, naturally guess what I did? Yep, I jumped off the wagon. The bad run, my dad is back in the hospital, and the discouraging diet news collectively pushed me over the edge. I had a HORRIBLE day. Well, actually most of it was quite nice, but I would have to run to Dallas and back to clear out all the calories I consumed today. Oh well, tomorrows a new day. It's hard to believe all this started over a single mile shortage!

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm --Winston Churchill

Here's some good news. Tonight's run went well. I also noticed that today's run put me over 500 miles for the year. I think that is really cool.

Activity: Speed Session (Run)
Mileage: 5.26 total
Time: 52:56 total -- 10:04 overall pace

2.03-miles warm up: 21:28 -- 10:34 pace
10 x 30/30: Ran 1.19 miles in 9:32 -- 8:00 pace (including recovery)
2.04-mile cool down: 21:56 -- 10:45 pace

Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 8

Of yeah, yesterdays run inflamed the left medial shin. The pain wasn't too bad tonight, but enough to keep it iced.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, how'd you know about Catherine. That's my dietitian too. Did you know about her before or read about her on my blog? You know, she does a BMR test in her office for $75.00 that's very accurate. She is awesome.

Hey, don't worry about the wagon. You didn't fall off. You just hung your feet over the sides a little. Sounds like from your run that you're back at it. Nice workout.

Humble Runner said...

Hey Vic, I love the analogy: "Just hung your feet over the sides a little". Thanks, I needed that!

I pushed hard last night. You might say, I was trying to cleanse my body of all the guilt, so I could start today with a better mindset.

I've known Catherine about 8 months. I've only been able to afford a single appointment (January 2006), but would like to see her on a regular basis. I have a cool job, but money is not one of the perks.

Unknown said...

I retained Catherine's services for myself for 6 months through usaeatfit.com. It's sort of affiliated with usafit. So, since I am in a usafit group (Katy Fit), I got a discount with usaeatfit. $120 and I get unlimited personal e-mail support, meal plans, she monitors my diet via web portal where I log all my food. The web page calculates all my calories, fat, protein, all that stuff. She monitors it and e-mails me advice. It's a great deal for 6 months as 1 single 1-hour office visit is $95. Hey, my money's tied up too with 3 kids, mortgage, taxes. I don't even want to think about it. :) Funny thing is my wife looked a the checking account and the savings account the other day and said, Vic, what's going on? We've been spending a lot of extra money on health and fitness related stuff lately. Well, I've been spending a lot. I really kind of put us in a jam this month but the way I see it is we MUST do this. We must make our health and fitness a priority, for the whole family. Otherwise, we're just sort of existing and not really living. I think it's been money well spent. By the way, can I borrow $10 till payday? Just kidding. :)

SRR said...

Awww...bad days...put things into perspective...you are doing great. No beating yourself up, buddy!