Saturday, July 22, 2006

Tired

It took everything I had to finish my long run. After a late afternoon rain shower I tackled the scheduled 10 miles. The humidity was a bitch. Ever have a run where it's hard to breathe? Well, that is how I felt. My schedule called for 10-miles with 4 miles at marathon pace (9:54). I had to dig deep to get those four sub-9:54 miles. Now that I'm looking over the splits, I see I was rewarded with some decent times during the Big Push. The warm up and cool down times were lousy, but there wasn't any pre-determined time for the other 6 miles.

As I have reported recently, I am tired. My average sleep time is in the 6-hour range. I'm entertaining the thought of skipping tomorrows run. Maybe I'll try some cross-training on the recumbent bike at work. Right now, its just one day at a time.

I always get excited about my "week in review". Hopefully the numbers will match my expectations. I'll post them early tomorrow morning.

Activity: Long Run
Mileage: 10.10 miles
Time: 1:39:38 -- 9:52 pace
Splits, left to right:
10:43, 11:03, 11.01, 10:29, 9:33
9:17, 8:55, 8:54, 9:56, 9:36, 0.11 (0.10 mile)
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 7

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Bill, I've always wondered something. When someone says they run 3 miles at marathon pace. Is that supposed to be target marathon pace or some calculated marathon pace based on a recent race time?

Nice 10 miler.

Get some sleep!

Humble Runner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Humble Runner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Humble Runner said...

Yes and yes... I think. Coach and I used my 5k PR to plug into a race predictor calculator.

I've read about other runners training at a "target" marathon pace. Usually they have prior marathon experience and are trying to improve their time.

I have no past marathon history, so I used the race predictor to establish my training pace.

There is an excellent running calculator on my sidebar... check it out. It does the entire math-work for you at every distance in one simple click.