Thursday, July 06, 2006

7 miles Inside Woodland Pines

Enjoyable neighborhood run tonight. Unanticipated outcome, taking into account I was pushing Alison in the stroller for a little more than 7-miles, yesterdays shin pain, and my overall exhaustion.

I seriously think there is a link between my shin pain and running at work. The surface is concrete on one side of the station and asphalt on the other. Both sides have a significant camber and the turns are at a 90 degree angle. Today, the shin is ok. Who knows, I sure as hell don't!

Thank God it's Friday really means something, when you run six days a week. At work we have been busy at night, which means little, if any sleep on duty. Damn them for trying to make me earn my money! Last night I was up most the time on various calls. The running and the lack of sleep caught up to me today. When I got home, I slept for almost 3 hours. And I'm still tired!

I'll probably do a lower body workout after this post.... we'll see!

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 7.15 miles
Time: 1:20:55 -- 11:19 pace
Splits (left to right):
11:20, 11:20, 10:52, 13:01
11:00, 11:01, 10:51, 1:30 (1.15 mile)
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9.5

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo William,

Sounds like your work running venue is pretty tough. With the camber and the turns, be sure to switch directions with each run. For track sessions we mostly warm up and cool down running clockwise either just on the infield or in the far lane.

Steeeve

Unknown said...

It's been wild for you. One day you can barely walk with the shin splints, the next day you're running > 13 miles. I know it must be frustrating. hang in there. You'll figure it out.

TX Runner Mom said...

Crazy how those aches and pains work! I hope it gets better...ice, ice, ice!

Steve Bezner said...

Perhaps you could bring a treadmill to the station?

Humble Runner said...

Coach Steeve, I've tried running in different directions for the last month or more. In fact, on my last run I ran miles 1-3 clockwise and miles 4-6 counter-clockwise. My leg started hurting after I changed directions.

Steve B., We have a treadmill at work, but it faces a wall because we have minimal space. Talk about hitting the "wall", try running 5+ miles with a real-life size wall 2 feet in front of you! The treadmill occasionally "skips", which can be dangerous. Finally, the treadmill is located in the dorm. Every time I decide to run, someone is trying to sleep. I've given up the treadmill at work.

SRR said...

Ahh...poor baby having to actually work. I have some firefighter friends, and I know how it's done. But no hard feelings, because I'm a teacher and all my friends think I lounge at the country club in the summer. Oh wait a minute...I DO!! lol :-)

Great splits!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yo William "Bill",

Hmmm...sounds silly, but you might have one leg that's materially shorter than the other, so one direction on your loop suits you and the other one doesn't. I don't recommend anything that causes pain to flair up midway through a run :-O

Steeeve