Monday, July 17, 2006

Bum Run

Inconsistency is the only consistent thing I can say about my running. My schedule called for a SIMPLE four mile run. Due to time restraints at work I had to run earlier than I would have liked too. Running in today's heat was a huge mistake. It was easily the hottest run to date. The run bordered, unsafe. Weather.com reported the feel-like temperature as 103 degrees at the time of my run. I agree with Joe C. and Keith about all the complaining. It is hot. It is hot everyday, everywhere, and my whining about it doesn't make it any cooler. For the next few weeks, I'll try to adjust my schedule to run early mornings, late evenings, or on the treadmill.

The first two miles were ok. At three miles my body completely SHUT DOWN! It seemed like someone flipped the stop switch. I tried walk breaks, but I could not make myself go any further, not even 10 yards. After several unsuccessful minutes, I surrendered to the heat.

I'll tack on an extra mile to a workout later in the week.

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 3.10 miles
Time: 30:33 -- 9:52 pace
Splits:
9:57
9:36
10:00
0:59 (0.10 mile)
Location: Humble Fire Department
How I Felt: 4

6 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Be careful on those HOT runs! I think I did the same last night, but it wasn't feeling like 103...more like 95!

Steve Bezner said...

No worries. Your doing awesome.

The heat is kicking everyone's butt right now. Fighting the heat now, will just make you that much stronger when it finally does cool down.

I keep telling myself that I'll have an advantage this winter for fighting the heat this summer. Keep the hydration flowing and know when to "Call Uncle!"

Go Bill!

Anonymous said...

Steve B. speaks the truth. You won't believe how super you will feel when the first cool snap hits this fall. In the interim you've just gotta believe!

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Bill, you're doing great. Don't wanna hear about "Bum run". You gained a ton by enduring what you did. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see you run one day.

Vic

TX Runner Mom said...

I agree with the others...if we can run in this heat, just think how awesome we will feel and how much better we'll run when the cool fronts start coming through in the fall! I am counting the days!

SRR said...

Awww...but sweetie you did get out there and run. But cryin' out loud...becareful in the heat! It's not worth getting sick over!