Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pathetic Long Run

Still steaming from today's performance... or lack there of.

I met up with the Houston Strider's for the last PRE-SMART long run in Cullen Park. The schedule: 10.25 miles, better known as the Chevron Run. Strong showing on hand with all the usual superstars. If you don't want to read about me bitchin', then stop here... you've been warned. My morning started bad for the following reasons:

-Mere 3 hours of sleep last night (Same as Adam and Chris)
-Sat PARKED on I-10 at 5:30 am due to construction traffic!
-Legs felt tired from yesterdays bike ride
-No wind, very few clouds, seasonally hot temperature, and high humidity.

Alright, back to the running. Here is the bottom line: I completely crumbled at the 8.5 mile mark. When Rich and I passed the Katy FIT meeting area the second time, I knew the end was near. I started this morning tired with heavy legs and the pain was compounded with each step beyond that fateful 8.5 mile point. I tried a walk-run regimen, but never made it more than 50 yards before stopping again. I ran 9.25 miles, exactely one mile short of the schedule. I'm greatly disappointed with today's run. I can tell I need to stop here. It's pissing me off again just thinking about it. Oh yeah, I was rather ill on my drive home. I still don't feel great, but if I feel better later I might pick up the mile I left at Cullen Park. Of course I'll run it here at home.

To end on a positive note, 6 of the 9.25 miles were below my projected marathon pace. Special "shout-out" to Rich for getting me to the 8.5 mile mark. His dead-flat 9:45ish pace was a huge help.

This morning I saw Vic, who was running with 150 of his closest friends. If you haven't seen Vic in awhile, he's looking lean and mean on the trails. WTG Dude!

Activity: Long Run
Mileage: 9.25 miles
Time: 1:29:33 -- 9:39 overall pace
Location: Cullen Park
How I Felt: 5

Sorry for the pissy post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's always something good cooking in Strider Nation. Been running and cycling with Rich for years. His wife Patti is my swim coach (she doesn't like me saying that given my swim capabilities or lack thereof). Patti was one of the original PIM coaches in 1998 and Rich and Patti were SMART coaches last year. Alas they moved to Boston following Rich's career but expect to be back in Houston often.

One of the best race reports we've ever had was from Rich doing the Lagos 1/2 Marathon. Check it out on http://www.houstonstriders.com/2005_01.pdf. The photos are incredible!

You've done all the right things, you are now ready to start ramping up for your marathon debut!

Steeeve

Humble Runner said...

Thanks for the great link, Coach.

Steeve wrote:
"You've done all the right things, you are now ready to start ramping up for your marathon debut!"

Holy Crap, I've run 161 miles this month (170+ before Tuesday) and now I'm ready to RAMP UP!

Just kidding, I understand.

Steve Bezner said...

Yeah buddy, let the fun begin!

TX Runner Mom said...

Bill, no need to be hard on yourself. You have been kicking butt and taking names with your training lately! We all have days like these, trust me, I seem to have them often lately in this heat. Just think how strong you're going to feel once the 1st cool front comes through. On the flip side, it is good to come here and vent to folks who understand where you're coming from...I have done my share of venting. :-)