Thursday, July 27, 2006

It's All Good

Every morning, I brush my teeth and immediately weigh myself. It has become a normal regimen of mine. Today started perfectly with a weight of 200.00 pounds. I had no idea that this would only be the start of a really awesome day. I have been hoping to put a couple pounds in the bank to cover the anniversary dinner, but I'm content with the results thus far. My goal: 199 before the start of SMART training, which is this Tuesday, August 1, 2006. To insure I meet my goal, I plan on doing some biking on Friday and Monday. I have a funny feeling this goal will come down to the last minute.

This evening I met up with the Striders at Terry Hershey Park. The group run was a BLAST! Big turnout with a multitude of paces represented. The schedule: 6 miles that went something like this, 1-mile warm up, miles 2 and 4 at 10k pace, 1-mile recovery between 2 and 4, and ~1.81-mile cool down. The warm up mile was fine. At the end of mile one I realized I have spoiled myself with cooler late night running. The second mile was "suppose to be" at 10k pace (my predicted 10k pace is 8:52). I ran at a perceived effort of 8 on an 1-10 scale. My perception of an 8-effort equaled a 7:48 mile. Yes, Bill Cox ran a 7:48 mile! The third mile recovery was true to the word. I had to back off more than usual, which resulted in today's only nine minute mile. Before the start of mile 4, at 10k pace I knew there would not be a repeat performance of the sub-8 minute mile mark. I tried to run an 8-ish effort, which turned out to be an 8:13 mile. Coach Steeve ran me in for the remainder of the cool down session. He probably sensed my exhaustion and my need for a little help. I'm excited about our ~8:30 cool down. My running has come a long way, in a short time. All I have to do now is lose more weight and fend off the injuries.

Lot's of post run "GREATNESS" at the Great Charcoal Chicken gathering. If you want to know more about the fun, frivolity, and trash talking, join the Striders and start running with us!

Activity: Group Run. Is this considered Speed work??
Mileage: 5.81 miles
Time: 49:09 -- 8:27 pace
Splits:
8:41, 7:48, 9:14, 8:13, 8:20, 6:53 (0.81 mile)
Location: Terry Hershey Park
How I Felt: 9

Activity: Weight Training
Body Region: Lower Body
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym
How I Felt: 10

2 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Wow, you are getting fast! Congrats on your 7:48 mile and your weight loss!

Unknown said...

WHOOHOO, Bill. Sounds like an awesome workout. You're gonna kick butt in SMART training. I'm really proud of you. In my book, you've already met the sub-200 lb. goal. WTG!!!