Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Weird Run

Todays run was odd. First of all I completed 6-miles at work. The first two miles were near perfect. My legs felt good and the pace was quicker than expected. After those first two glorious miles, everything came apart. My left shin started bothering me again. Oddly though, it hurt the most when I stopped for water at the end of miles 2, 4, and 6. By the time I finished, I couldn't bare weight on my left leg. The site is so tender I can hardly touch it, so massage is not an option yet. I'm icing the shin as I type this post.

I started the run at 4 pm, and boy was it hot. That may be one of the reasons I fell apart so soon. The heat is mentally fatiguing to me. I fought long and hard to stay in motion. Oh well, the run is done as scheduled and in the books. Running 6 days a week is going to be tougher than I expected.

Activity: Run
Mileage: 6 miles
Time: 1:02:54 -- 10:29 average pace
Splits:
10:05
09:50
10:02
10:48
11:20 (Obviously, my hardest mile)
10:46
Location: Humble Fire Department
How I felt: 7.5 Overall

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe there's not something you can do about those shin splints. I feel for you, bud.

SRR said...

6 days running...nah!! You'll be great. But maybe you should pick cooler times to run!

Quilt Granny said...

Hello humble Bill. I hear you about the heat...it's so freakin hot...I've taken to getting up at 5:00 a.m and running from 5:20 to 6:15 or so every morning...when its only about 20 C outside...which for me is already pretty hot. I also hear you about wierd injuries. I have this really strange toe thing going on. It kicks in about 8 km into a run. My 2nd toe feels like its poking through a hole in my sock. There is no other way to explain it. Doesn't hurt, but is very very annoying...

TX Runner Mom said...

Sorry the shin pain is back! Definitely keep icing and maybe take some iboprofen (sp?) for the inflammation? Hope it feels better before the next run!