Sunday, July 02, 2006

Equipment Malfunction

I officially started my schedule of running six day's per week. I'm at work today, so it was the dreaded loops around the fire station.

With the exception of my treadmill runs, I always wear my Garmin 205. Today's run was no exception. In recent weeks, I have trained myself to not look at the display too often. The auto laps feature is activated, so the unit will record the splits, give me a small beep, and pop-up a display of the last mile time. Follow me, I promise I'm going somewhere with this. My small loop route is about 0.20-.22, depending on how wide you take the turns. After six loops I hadn't heard a peep from my watch. The rookie asked if we had run a mile yet, so I looked at my watch for the first time. To my surprise it read our distance completed as 0.42! I knew this was not right and tried to determine the problem. After another minute it read 0.41. At the seventh loop I looked again and it read 0.38. I was going backwards. I stopped, turned the watch off, then back on. I scrapped the first 7-laps and called it a single mile, even though I know it was 1.4 miles. Not a problem in the world after the "re-boot". This time I kept a close eye on the distance. This has never happened before. Weird, huh?

My second problem was the new Asics Gel-Landreth shoes. The padding was consistent to a 2x4. As a heavy runner, I always ask for a heavy cushioned shoe. This shoe felt comfortable in the store, but todays run was less than pleasant feeling. The bottom of my feet felt like they were on fire and there was significant heel slippage. I tied a "runners knot", no help. I tied the laces tighter, which made my foot feel like it was falling asleep. Tomorrow, I'll make a phone call and see if they can help me. When I bought the shoes they showed me numerous brands and models. Due to price restraints my only options were the Asics Landreth and a nice fitting model made by saucany. The saucany shoe felt better in the store. Unfortunately, I relied on my prior history with asic, which had proven good... till now. With a little luck, I can try the other shoe.

I'm done bitching. The four mile run went well. The first mile split below is a guess. The overcast skies kept the temperature below 90. But, like yesterdays run, the humidity was out in full force. I also had time at work for a complete body workout. This was a really good activity day for me. I can't wait to see my "week in review" results in the morning.

This week's total mileage was: 35.09!

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 4.20 miles
Time: 43:05 -- 10:15 pace
Splits:
10:30 (High-side guess)
10:38
10:06
10:01
01:50 (0.20 mile)
Location: Humble Fire Department
How I Felt: 10

Activity: Weight Training
Body Region: Total Body
Time: 1.5 hours
Location: Humble Fire Department Gym
How I felt: 8.5

Boy, do I have a great link for you today. Even though I'm a new runner, this running calculator from McMillan Running is far more superior to any others I have seen. I particularly enjoy the speed work predictor. Check it out!

2 comments:

SRR said...

Ahhh...haven't had that problem with my Garmin 205, but many runners experience difficulties with it when running loops. Guess it has a hard time tracking in circles.

TX Runner Mom said...

Thanks for the link...that's a great calculator! BTW, the shins are still feeling a little sore. I'm going to try an easy loop on Wednesday and see how they feel.