Sunday, September 20, 2009

Attacked

Felt nice to sleep in this morning.

Andrea and I biked to Schlotzsky's to have lunch and then back home. Met a great couple at the sandwich shop and talked about running, biking, and triathlons.

Trail Bike:
11.86 miles
1:01:59
11.48 mph

Ran some errands during the day then went running at East End Park this evening. We waited a little later than usual, hoping to use our LED lights for a little night trail running. We were too early and didn't need any supplemental light. It was tough in the beginning, but I settled into a rhythm and had a great run after "the incident"....

Seriously, please put your dog on a leash and if you see someone with a dog off their leash, remind the owner its THE LAW. Andrea and I were ATTACKED by a pit bull in East End Park. We saw a large muscular dog walking down the trail towards us. The owner was walking another unleashed dog about 40 yards behind the pit bull. The dog seemed to be in a defensive mode with his head down, tail tucked, and slowly making his way towards us. When the dog got too close for our comfort I yelled, "get outta here" and kicked some dirt his way. This sent the dog into a rage of barking, growling, and snipping at both Andrea and I. I have never seen a dog act so aggressive in my life. The more I moved the closer he snipped at me. He circled me as I stood there frozen. Within seconds he was snipping at Andrea’s legs. I tried to distract the dog so she wouldn't get harmed. When I had the dog’s attention again I told Andrea to run back to the truck. I was amazed the owner was yelling at US during the attack. She kept saying, "Why did you do that? He's a gentle and loving dog!" I was in total disbelief that the her dog was ATTACKING us and her response was to yell at us and make the situation even more tense. Now the dog is feeding off her sense her anger towards us. The dog had copious amount of saliva dripping from his mouth which was foaming-up on his snout. I know this because I got to see up close... he was mere inches from my ankles. I'm not sure why he didn't actually make contact, but I was scared to death all the same. I was stressed and told the owner, "Get your fucking dog and put him on a leash!” She continued to yell at me for MY ACTIONS. I told her it is the LAW to have her dog on the leash. Then she proceeded to tell me, "If you would have put your hand out he wouldn't have attacked you". Well, woman... I've been a paramedic for 15-years and when I respond to a mauled kid that was attacked by a violent dog attack the owner is always standing there telling us, "He's a friendly dog and has NEVER bitten anyone before". Who am I to know if your dog is violent or friendly!?!? Bottom line, she was wrong and endangered our lives which I do not appreciate. Had the dog been on a leash, there wouldn't have been a problem, although there might have been. After she got him on a leash she was having trouble controlling him. It's time for me to contact the authorities and let them know I'm fed up with the loose dogs at East End Park.

Run:
2.02
24:41
12:14 pace

Andrea and I both had an upset stomach from all the stress after the dog attack and confrontation with the dog owner. In an attempt to settle our nerves we went for a walk around the bayou. As an added bonus, we got to use out lights! It's very cool to be outside and only see the environment 4-feet in front of you. Our senses were alive and on full alert!

Walk:
1.71 miles
29:04
17:00 pace

1 comment:

Steve Bezner said...

Ignorant dog owners really piss me off. I'm glad you gave her a piece of your mind. I've had dog owners tell me to stop as the dog chases me down the street. Hell, no. I hope the dog follows me causing grief for it's owner.