Tuesday, September 29, 2009

4-hours of Cardio and Dad Day at school

My day started at 5am with a 2-hour drive to Trinity TX to be with Alison for "Bring your Dad to school day". We had breakfast together then I joined her in the classroom for 45-minutes. It was a treat spending time with Alison in her school environment. Unfortunately, at the end the school gathered all the parents for a "Strong Father" Dog & Pony show. I have NO IDEA what the point was, but it was demeaning, childish, lame, and a waste of time. Lot's of people left during the presentation. I followed their lead and left 10-minutes before the end.

When I got home I looked at the programs web site. I get the impression they are trying to encourage fathers to take a more active role in their children's life. In my personal opinion, they need to work on their target group, because the fathers that showed up for "bring your dad to school day" ARE ACTIVELY INVOLVED. For crying out loud, I drove 2 hours to be there! I don't need anyone telling me to be an active father.

Afterwards I visited with Preston while Erin did some grocery shopping. I have a funny way of showing it, but I'm really happy when I'm with my kids. Very few people know how sad it is to say good bye to your kids, give them a kiss & hug, then make the lonesome drive home... alone. I force myself to spend the entire 2-hour drive trying NOT to think about it or otherwise I'd probably cry the entire time. (sigh)

Once I got home I rode my trail bike around Kingwood for an hour. Andrea was home at 3:30 from her first day at the new job, so we cycled to Schlotzsky's for an early dinner. A short time later we went for a 2 mile run with half mile warm-up and half mile cool-down walk. My legs felt really heavy, but you wouldn't know that by looking at the pace. The recent cool front has left us with more enjoyable Fall-like temperatures.

Trail Bike:
22.49 miles
1:50:55
12.17 mph

Run:
2.01 miles
21:04
10:29 pace

Walk:
1.31 mikes
22:18
17:01 pace

Rode the bike trainer while watching the "Biggest Loser" on TV. If you do the math, you'll see the grand total is FOUR HOURS of cardio. Now I can officially say my legs are dead. Time for a cool water soak and my bed.

Bike Trainer:
22.27 miles
1:30:04
14.84 mph

No comments: