Saturday, September 12, 2009

6 rainy miles and a mother board

The morning started bad. As I walked into the kitchen to fill my hydration bottle I found a large puddle of water. I quickly learned the water use to be the ice INSIDE the freezer. My refrigerator died in the middle of the night. I didn't allow it to corrupt my day, because frankly, there wasn't much I could do about it at 5am.

Ran six rainy miles with my Kingwood Fit peeps.... and I loved every minute of it! Yesterday I bought a visor and an inexpensive LED light that mounts to the brim. I was amazed how well those little LEDS lit the path. Money well spent.

The run was executed as planned. Slow and consistent pace the first three miles, then we fired up the afterburners on the last three miles. I was "itchy" to pick up the pace on the last half mile, so another runner and I opened up our stride and was running in the 8:00/mile range. Of course we only did that for half a mile. The pace was fast enough to better our last mile average down to 9:07.

This mornings rain plus the refrigerator ordeal did stop Andrea from taking the girls to their triathlon. The frig was only a minor issue, but trying to manage three kids, the bikes, camera's and do it all in the rain was just too much to ask one person, especially knowing it was probably going to be cancelled.

Andrea did manage to call an appliance repair man, which worked on weekends. Turns out the mother-board on my refrigerator went out. Bitter-sweet news. It wasn't anything major... except the price. The final cost was $340 and it only took the repairman about 4-5 minutes to fix. The price point was teetering on the line. That amount of money was a lot to spend on a 5-year old unit that was a lower end unit to begin with, yet a new basic unit was going to cost $800 or more. We decided to go with the cheaper price and take our chances we get a long life out of the unit.

Before going to work we went to REI to pick up the hiking gear Andrea ordered for my birthday. I LOVE ALL OF IT and I'm really excited to use it! She is entirely too good to me... I'm one lucky guy!

I took off half the shift (12-hours vacation) today to run and be with the family. One of the guys at work had a family emergency, so I was called in early. Needed a little extra cardio, so I cycled on the recumbent bike for 30-minutes.

Run:
6.25 miles
1:11:46
11:29 pace

Recumbent Bike:
7.0 miles
26:56
15.6 mph

No comments: