Monday, January 15, 2007

Houston Marathon

Activity: Houston Marathon
Mileage: 26.2 miles
Time: 4:38:56 -- 10:39 pace
10:55, 10:16, 10:05, 10:09, 10:07,
10:05, 10:12, 10:05, 10:04, 9:50,
10:03, 10:09, 9:49, 9:40, 10:32,
10:34, 9:41, 10:08, 10:33, 10:48,
10:13, 11:54, 12:46, 13:07, 13:48,
2:32 (0.20 mile)
Above are Garmin splits.

The race splits are:
10k: 1:04:23 -- 10:21 pace (finish prediction 5:02)
Half: 2:13:59 -- 10:14 pace (finish prediction 4:42)
30k: 3:10:54 -- 10:15 pace (finish prediction 4:35)
Finish: 4:38:56 -- 10:39 pace

My knees and ankle hurt so bad I can't sleep. Twenty-six miles was the hardest thing I've ever done. I ran beautifully till Tanglewood. Ugh, damn that neighborhood. I had hoped to dip under 10:00/minute mile pace, but it would not be. The only thing that slowed me down was the knees and right ankle. Otherwise I was A-ok.

Random thoughts:
My shorts caused me lots of problems for the first two miles. The Gu packets were weighing them down and I was constantly pulling them up and re-tying the drawstring. I ended up pulling my shorts up as high as I could and pushing my gut out so they would stay in place. That ought to make for some impressive pictures!

Twice I have struggled through Tanglewood. Its officially my most hated neighborhood.

Disappointed I didn't spend much time with Kevin, who finished in an impressive 4:58:59! I was most impressed how fresh he was at the end. When I asked, "how do you feel", he replied "fine, nothing hurts and I had fun". Good for him! WTG Kevin.

Lots of Strider stories... too many to post. Everywhere from flat tires to vomiting to BQ's. Striders ROCKED the marathon. Speaking of Striders, I recorded the footage and the Striders are the ONLY club mentioned and there were lots of smiling yellow SMARTie singlets on TV. Glad this isn't the firehouse. Rules dictate, if the TV crew zooms in on you, then you're required to buy ice cream for everyone. If that were the case, than Steve Bezner, Carlos, Steeeve, Barry, and a few others need to make a trip to the grocery store.

Its 1 am and I'm finally getting hungry. Tired of typing. Time to re-ice the injuries.

16 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Cool, let me be the first to congratulate you on a awesome debut marathon. You overcame the injury and rocked! Way to go!

I walked outside to watch the finishers and I heard the annoucer call out "Bill Cox," and was so impressed! I watched you finish on the "Jumbo Vision."

WTG

P.S. So you saw me on TV??? I must go watch again.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Going from the cannot participate due to injury list to an awesome debut in such a short time is mighty, mighty impressive. YOU ROCK!!!

Steeeve

Jenny said...

Congratulations Bill!

Anonymous said...

ohhh...I cannot wait to see those pictures!! If they turn out, perhaps we could get one for Stride lines!!

Awesome job Bill!! That is one heck of a race you ran!!

Unknown said...

Yo, Bill. I just can't believe it. You were out just a couple of weeks ago and then to come back and ROCK like you did. You are and continue to be my idol.

Hey, I lost 6 lbs on the race. Hoping I'm catching up to you. Well, the mexican food last night may have decreased my chances a bit.

Anonymous said...

Bill I always enjoy your blog. I am so happy that you had a great race. Wear your pain proudly.
Matt W.....

Junie B said...

Bill...i literally have no words. i cannot tell you how INCREDIBLY thrilled i am at your debut! i kept wondering where you were, and honestly I was like surely he is NOT behind me...little did i know you were kicking ass and taking names way up in the front!!

Pony and Petey said...

WOW! look at those predicted finish times! Only a really good runner can keep getting faster in a long distance race. You ran smartly and your finish time shows it. AWESOME first marathon time! You beat me!!

C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S!!!

Pony and Petey said...

Oh yeah...and if we follow firehouse rules, I think Pizza Man owes us BIG TIME! hahahahahahahahahaha

Sarah said...

Congrats on an AWESOME debut marathon! I never managed to see you yesterday but rest assured I was thinking about you!

TX Runner Mom said...

Bill, great job on the marathon. I am so impressed by your performance! All I can say is YOU ROCK!

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

BILL!!!!

wow you pulled through and kicked butt man. you are much tougher then me. we need to run the next one together, since you will be faster then me by then!

CONGRATS AGAIN!
-Jess

Hey Zeus said...

Great job Bill and to think just 3 weeks ago you were not going to run. Your legs will not hurt as much when you finish Rocky.

equarles said...

Way to go Bill. Awesome marathon debut.

Jill said...

LOL about the shorts! That is funny!

Great debut and just overall terrific job!

Woodlands Runner said...

Congratulationson your first marathon! You are awesome! It was also nice seeing you on the course!