Monday, January 15, 2007

Ankle pain

Unable to stand due to right ankle and right knee pain lead me to the doctors office today. Dr. Mack is awesome and knows "running related medicine". He started our conversation asking about my marathon run. As he was looking over my file he had made notes from the prior visit of my 40 mile weeks, Houston marathon, RR50, age of my shoes, etc. That impressed me.

During the assessment, I told him I had right knee pain for the first ten miles and then it disappeared for the remainder of the run. He said the knee pain most likely caused me to change my gait and land flat-footed. This created an imbalance for more than 55,000 steps. That's what he said, is that correct? The imbalance was more on the right side and an usual stress to the ankle. The doc said the swelling and bruising is nothing serious.

Doctors orders are: no running for one week. Reduce weekly mileage by 50% for three weeks. Then I can ramp back up or see him if the pain persist. Hmmmm, sounds like what Dr. Steeeeve, er Coach said to do.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That Dr. Steeeve is one smart guy. I have a sneaking suspicion that you're going to follow your doctor's orders and bounce back like the determined fighter that you are.

Now, you deserve some Oatmeal cream pies!!!

Crosstrain said...

You kicked butt and deserve a week off. Fantastic run, you were looking great when you passed me (thanks for checking on me btw).

Anonymous said...

Where's Homer chiming in on the Oatmeal Cream pies????

TX Runner Mom said...

I think that's a well-earned week off! I agree with Vic, follow the Dr's orders and you will be back up to par in no time...hopefully pain free!

Anonymous said...

My name is Robert Key and I am a local runner in the Houston area. I recently ran the half-marathon in Houston with my son (his furthest race to date). I saw a post today of Vic's where he had used an article I had written on my web site about advice for the USA 10 Miler back in October. I read his marathon post for Houston from Sunday, was blown away by it, then started reading links to other bloggers in our area, which is how I came across yours. My web site http://www.faithfulsoles.com is dedicated to inspiring, encouraging and motivating walkers, runners and athletes of all abilities, and I am in the process of developing a running blog search engine where people can find and read blogs that most closely fit their own ability and goals. I would be grateful if you would register a link to your running blog with my web site. From the home page, under "Free Features" in the lefthand column, just click on "Link your running blog". Thanks and congratulations on completing the marathon.