Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hard mileage

Activity: Run
Mileage: 9.34 miles
Time: 1:34:54 -- 9:50 pace
9:48, 9:29, 9:24, 9:25, 9:34
9:58, 10:30, 10:10. 10:12
3:20 (0.34 mile)
Location: Memorial Park
How I Felt: 8

Check out the above log. The splits are back! Thank you Striders!

I wanted to run 10-12 miles with the Striders this morning, but I was up late last night. The alarm went off at 5:15 to make it out there, but 4-hours of sleep wasn't enough. I still managed to wake up before 9:00 and make it to Memorial park before 11:00 am.

Today was bitter-sweet-bitter. First the bitter: My knee hurt like hell last night and occasionally during the run. I ran through the pain, which always disappeared with time. I ran my entire first mile "comfortable" and without looking at the garmin. This leads to the Sweet: Check out those splits. I was impressed the mileage felt so easy... until mile five. More Bitter: I completely died at 5 miles. The legs were holding up, but I was 100% exhausted. Out of gas. Totally spent. Nothing left. After an extended break I slowed my pace down and took advantage of occasional walk-breaks. This was a tough 9 miles.

My guess was improper fueling. I'm on a diet. Consequently, I kept the "numbers" within my allotted ranges, but I did a crappy job of fueling my body yesterday. Plus, I haven't been thirsty for the last two days, which has lead to a decrease in my water intake. If that's not enough, I biked moderately hard late last night (after 10pm). Any of these could be the reason for my exhaustion. If the above items are not the problem(s) and today's run is a reflection of my training, then Houston will not be fun! I'm sure I've got more than 9 good miles in me.

Finished the day with a two-hour walk around the Houston Zoo. That was a good experience. All the animals were out and about. Someone told Erin that overcast days are the best time to see the animals on the move. They were right.

Overall it was a good, good day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you've hit on all the problems. I, too, have been trying to drop a few extra lbs this past week. I don't know if that was a good idea but the big deficits are over for this week.

Anonymous said...

Jennie has always told me that I look my best with overcast skies...I now know why!! :)

Sarah said...

The week before a race is not the time to be dropping pounds, Vic! :) You guys gotta fuel up!

Junie B said...

i feel your pain. and i guess i lost weight this past week too...i put my baggy jeans earlier to go to the store and i kept having to hike them up....time to add a few lbs this week as much as I HATE that!!!

TX Runner Mom said...

I love it when the animals are out at the zoo...I have learned to not go on hot summer days.