Saturday, May 27, 2006

Race for the Pennant 5K

I made it out to the race. I planned on an easy jog to test the waters. My legs were sore this morning... in fact I had trouble walking downstairs, while I was getting ready for the race. We arrived early for packet pick-up. Before the race started, I was feeling itchy to run.... Run Hard. I had enough time to do nearly one-hour of stretching plus a super easy 1/2 mile warm-up. The pain never really went away, but it was reduced to an ache.
I was warned by a dozen people about the heat during this race. Yes, there were correct, the heat was probably the hardest challenge.
I kept a solid pace the first mile, hoping the injury would not flare up. The second mile I picked up the pace just a bit. This was an easy task, because lots of runners were falling-off and many others were reduced to walking. It's always a cool feeling passing lots of runners. The heat was most apparent to me at the second turn-around point (pass the underpass). I saw that I would come in under 27:30 if I maintained the pace. The long decent into the underpass helped increase my pace. I worked to maintain the same effort level on other side. I didn't do much of a kick till the last 50 yards. I'm positive I could have shaved another 10 seconds, had I started my kick earlier. The good news is that I ran a safe and conservative race and I was rewarded with a 12 second PR.

My daughter ran the Junction Jack Kids Run. She had a great time and loved the post race party. My hats off to the RD, we had a great time. I have not ran many races, but that was the largest spread of food and beverages I have ever seen!
This may be my last race till cooler weather, but what a way to start the summer!

Weight: 214.25 pounds

Activity: Run (5k race)
Mileage: 3.1 miles
Time: 26:35 minutes (P.R.) 8:35/mile pace
Location: Downtown Houston, TX
How I felt: 10

Calories: 3130
Fat: 55 grams
Carbs: 490 grams
Protein: 166 grams

I consumed more snacks than meals. The snacking left me feeling hungry. I miscalculated the numbers today, which resulted in me going over about 130 calories.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed you out there this morning. Nice Race, and I'm glad your leg wasn't very troublesome.

Sarah said...

Sorry I missed you, but congrats on the PR!!

WalkSports.com said...

Bill,

Congratulations on an excellent run despite the conditions.

Waverly did the Kids Run as her very first run three years ago; therefore, the race is a little special although I hate the course!

Glad to know that your daughter had a great time! That's wonderful!

And so does Waverly who did the full 5K the next year and then the Marathon 5K, which was basically the same course, in 2005.

Jon