Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Medial Shin Splints

The left sided medial tibia pain is still present. I noticed the pain several times today simply by walking on concrete. I also noticed the pain was really bad while I was carrying a heavy book bag in my left hand. ???
After explaining my problem with my fellow Striders they made an unofficially diagnosis' of Medial Shin Splints (Medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS)). I was given advice that was consistent with actions I have already taken.... all but one. I have kept the site iced, including soaking in cold water. I've been eating ibprofren like candy, elevating the leg, and massaging the area. The one thing I haven't done is stop running. I have worked extremely hard to get where I am and I do not want to give up any training. After a lengthy discussion, I might turn tomorrows 6 mile run into a 3-mile walk at the park. We'll see.
Today I jogged to the Polo fields with the Striders. The shin hurt for the first 1.5 miles. The pain was still present, but tolerable. The run went really well. I ran at the back of the pack and met up with the other runners just outside the polo fields as they were returning home. Bessie joined me at this point and gave me lots of great advice on our way back in. We had a great converation, so the return trip seemed very short. Thanks Bessie W. ! The only walking I did was over the railroad tracks. I was proud that the cardio part went well. The asphalt road leading to the polo fields was a little rough on the leg, but everything else was uneventful.
The temperature was high. I think most of us have already adapted to our usual pattern of Texas weather.

Activity: Run (easy)
Mileage: 5.74 miles
Time: 1:05:25 (11:24 pace)
Location: Memorial Park
How I felt: 10, the leg was a 6

Weight: 215 pounds
Body Fat: 25.4%
Fat Mass Weight: 54.5 pounds

Once again the diet is going well. I had a ton of calories left over today. I was able to make a healthy and ever-so yummy supper. This new calorie adjustment may work for me. Keep your fingers crossed it works.

Calories: 2895
Fat: 42 grams
Carbs: 495 grams
Protein: 159 grams

1 comment:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

you are doing very well, Bill. don't worry, you will get get past this slight bump in the road:)