Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Polo Fields

Both runs today were fair. I did 2 miles on the treadmill before the Strider run, not much to say... real slow, slight left knee soreness from yesterdays night run.
This evening I ran 5.8 miles with the Striders. During today's run I was both lost and lonely. Not many people showed up and consequently there wasn't anyone who runs at my pace. I jogged the first 3/4 mile with Jessica. I really enjoyed the conversation, but I knew I was holding her back, so I slowed down to my regular pace and let her proceed. I was excited about the 9 minute mile I ran with her, but I knew I couldn't hold that pace. We were running to the Polo Fields and back. I had no idea where these fields were located before tonight's run. I usually could look far enough ahead to spot someone I knew. After I went over the railroad tracks I was on my own. I made a few wrong turns, but eventually found the other runners. I was excited to see they were waiting for me to arrive. After a short water break we headed back to our starting location. I ran most of this alone as well. Matt Wright was one of the first to finish the run and he was kind enough to come back and finish the last 1/2 mile with me. I was thankful for his gesture. I HATE running mileage alone. Initially, I was fustrated because I figure I could run "alone" at home and save myself a hour worth of driving. Later I came to my senses and realized that I had a good workout. Here are a few of the benefits from today's run:

  • My time was good (well above average)
  • Now I know where the Polo Fields are located
  • I learned that members may not be with you physically, but they are always with you in spirit
  • No one ever makes me feel like a slow runner

Something has to change! In preparation, I ate a light snack before my evening run. I even managed to fend of Steve's after run snacks with little effort. The problem was at home. I was so hungry when I got home I had to eat (I wasn't feeling well). I had a given amount of calories left for the day, but not quite enough for a full meal. The food(s) I chose acted as a trigger and as you can see I went over my dailey calories by a solid 1000! For a man of my size, 3500 calories is not bad, but I want this weight OFF and eating 3500 calories a day is just prolonging the pain. This tells me it is time to see the nutritionist again.


Activity: Run (long)
Mileage: 5.8 miles
Time: 55:09 minutes
Location: Memorial Park
How I felt (1-10): physical 9, mental 7

Activity: Run (easy)
Mileage: 2.0 miles
Time: 26:00 minutes
Location: Home - Treadmill
How I felt: 8

Weight: 210.5 pounds
Body Fat: 24.2%
Fat Mass Weight: 51 pounds*
*Same body weight as last Wednesday, but three pounds fat loss.

Calories: 3504 (yuck)
Fat: 70 grams
Carbs:
627 grams
Protein: 202 grams


There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure - Colin Powell

1 comment:

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

i'm glad we got to run together, if even for a 3/4 mile...don't feel bad at all about your run. it was nice to see you there and yes, we are all there together in spirit. sometimes it's that thought alone that gets me through all of my long lonely distance runs...
i'll get back to you about the cat...email me at stdjma14@shsu.edu