Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Test run

Tried running today for the first time since Saturday. I felt uneasy while running. The first half mile was the worst. Lots of small aches and weirdness in the knee. Then I thought to myself... it always feels like this for the first couple miles. After that I settled down and focused my thoughts about stuff OTHER than my knee. There were a few sharp pains during the run. I didn't stop because they only lasted a second or two.

The plan was to run 5-8 miles on my 3-mile loop through the subdivision. Admittedly, I felt pretty good at the end of the first three miles. When I stopped the knee started to ache. I extended the water break to ~10 minutes, hoping all would be well. I tried to do another loop, but I didn't make it 50 yards. The pain was sharp and constant this time.

So, there you go. I've been reduced to a 3-mile runner. In the grand scheme of this injury, I don't think running is good advice. Right now, it hurts to walk and I can already see minor swelling on the lateral side of my knee.

WILLIE ES NO BUENO!

Activity: Run
Mileage: 3.0 miles
Time: 30:58 -- 10:19 pace
Location: Trailwood Village
How I Felt: 8.5

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 miles plus your style of cross-training that we are all well aware of sounds like a better plan to me!! So, what you are so sad about?!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Hip Hip Hooray for cross training!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Dude! I'm rootin' for ya! Coach Pizza passed this quote on to me early in my running career when I was on the verge of my first injury... "run today so that you can run tomorrow" or something close to that...I've paraphrased it.

But what it means is run in a way today so that you can run tomorrow, and the next day and the next day for the rest of your life. If that means stopping at 1 mile, then stop. If that means cross-training or taking a rest day, do it!

My goal is to run until I die...I figure if I'm still running in my 80's, I can just show up for a race and place! hahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Pony and Coach Pizza nailed it. There's really no disguising that your currently knee situation SUCKS but this running thing is about lifestyle and lifetime!

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Dude, you're done!!! Get thee to the doctor, a "real" doctor!!!