Friday, December 01, 2006

RR 50-miler?

Jennie Minkin was able to correctly guess which race I signed up for. If you haven't checked out the comments, it is the Rocky Raccoon 50 mile - 100 mile.

One of my goals for 2007 is to finish a marathon (sub-4:30) and run an ultra running event. In my opinion, the marathon is as good as done. An ultra is a different story. The normal progression after a marathon is probably a 50k (31.1 miles). Since I'm not NORMAL, I signed up for the 50-miler. YIKES!

I choose this race for a number of reasons:

  • The date is during cooler weather
  • Plenty of aid stations
  • 3 loop course
  • FLAT as a pancake
  • Trail run (easier on the joints)
  • One of the LONGEST cut-off times (29 hours)
  • Close to home

Many people have said that Rocky Raccoon is an ideal ultra debut course. Yet the problem is timing. The race is only two months away and my longest run to date is 20 miles. See the problem? Plus it's three weeks after my marathon debut.

I was very excited initially, but I've gotten bits and pieces of discouraging words. Until today that is. Coach Steeve didn't think it was the worst thing I've ever done, which has rebuilt my confidence. With a 29 hour cut-off time, I have to maintain a 34 minute pace. Of course my goal is considerably less (sub-14 hours). I'll compose some type of strategy for both my training and my "race". It will probably be some combination of running and walking. I have several ideas, but I'd like input from others.

Currently, I'm working on the following preparation work:

Add the 6th running day into my schedule
Add extra mileage on long run days, similar to last weeks LR
Run 30+ in one day, before the ultra

If all goes as plans I will exceed the 200 mark for Decembers mileage. The sacrifice is quantity over quality. And that is sure to hurt my marathon time. In 2008 I'll pick my favorite distances and work harder on quality stuff. Well, that's my plan. I have given up on the idea of a triathlon. They seem expensive and my interest level is very low for swimming and only marginal for biking. I have most of my goals for 2007 ready. Can't wait to post them!

Anyways, tell me what you think. I'd like to hear from you... good, bad, or indifferent.

7 comments:

seagull junker said...

Sounds like a good plan. Do the Coon! Heck I might even be there for the 100. We will see. My friend Sean set the 50 mile course record there a couple of years ago. Then after he ran it he paced another guy from Oregon in the 100!

I say keep doing your long runs. That will help the most I think. (I am no way an expert on the subject though)

If you treat your marathon like a training run you will recover quickly and be ready for the Coon.

And your goal for RR should be to finish, which you stated. That is a good idea also. Plus, have fun!!!
Good luck,
tom riley
near Portland, Oregon

Junie B said...

HOLY SMOKES!!!

I dont even know what to say!

But I give you BIG kudos for setting a goal so far in advance! Now you have me thinking what my next milestone should be...probably a 50K...Probably Sunmart next year....

Unknown said...

OH, NO!!! You got June thinking. I had to nag and nag to get her to do the full. Now, she's doing 50K's, just 'cause Bill's doing a 50 miler. Guess that shows what she thinks of me (and you).

Don't hate me, June! :o)

Bill, that's awesome. And you already registered? WOW!!! You are my hero. I'm gonna be there. I wanna see it. As you get closer, let me know what you need. Heck, I may even be able to pace you a few miles on this one. :)

Anonymous said...

Yo Willie,

"Didn't think it was the worst thing I've ever done" - I love it! Actually, I thought I was being supportive of the initiative.

The turnaround from Houston is 3 weeks, not 2, which is huge. I would feel a whole lot better about this if it were 5 or 6, but it's not.

Would recommend against any plan other than continuing to follow the schedule for Houston, then recover normally, then BOOM - run Rocky. Really, there's not a lot you can do to prepare otherwise (bad news) or a lot different you need to do (good news).

I would recommend studying Joel DuBois's 3 part Stridelines article starting March 04.

It's only one data point, but I was able to complete a 40 miler 6 weeks after a hard Houston and did it 1:30 per mile slower than the marathon. The key observation is my longest run between the two races was 12 miles. Recovery is waaaaaay more important than buildup for what you're trying to accomplish.

Steeeve

Humble Runner said...

Coach,
Yep, your email was a very supportive. Thanks. Sorry if the post seemed otherwise. I was itching to talk about it more, but out of respect I waited to talk to you before I wrote about it at length.

Your right about the date. Woohooo an extra week of recovery!

Vic,
The run is 02/03/06. I could use all the help I can get. I'll keep you informed.

Crosstrain said...

Ah the enthusiasm of youth. 50miles in February? Can I do the I'm a Chicken 5K instead?

TX Runner Mom said...

I think it's great to set such a great stretch goal! You can totally do it!