Friday, December 15, 2006

D.N.F

I don't have a clue what happened today. I assumed my pre-long run preparations were adequate, which included; no running the day before, drank lots of water, got a fair amount of sleep, the kiddo went to daycare, and I dressed for the weather. My plan was to run a solo 21 miler.

Earlier in the week I devised a double loop course that was half dirt trail and half road. This morning started later than I had hoped, but I was dressed and out the door by 9am. It was nasty out there. As Coach would label it, "pea-soup". The ground was wet resulting in the clay-like soil sticking to my shoes. Little did I know this would be the least of my problems.

Awhile back I bought a hydration pack. You know, the backpack style. Lets just say it was not a good experience. It was rubbing and felt heavy, so I shed it before the first mile. My back was bothering me from the beginning and the pack didn't help matters.

I couldn't find the drive or will to run today. Plus, my back was going from discomfort to pain. I tried walk breaks. I tried slowing down. I got rid of the hydration pack. Nothing worked. I finally quit at 5 miles. Immediately I felt better, but then I started feeling bad about the failed run. So, I went for a bike ride. Riding the bike took more effort than usual, but the ride was enjoyable. During the bike ride I built myself back up and tried to go running again. I didn't even make it two miles the second time.

I have no idea what happened. This is one for the Coach to answer. I think its the extra day of running. This is exactly how I felt last time. I wanted to run, but hated to actually run.

Through it all I walked 2-3 miles. I stop my watch when I walk. So, the numbers you see are actuall run time. Maybe I'll try to pick up some extra miles on Sat/Sun.

Activity: Run (both runs combined)
Mileage: 6.52 miles
Time: 1:13:32 -- 11:17 pace
Location: Kingwood
How I Felt: 4

Activity: Bike
Mileage: 13.17 miles
Time: 1:16:15 -- 10.4 mph
Location: Kingwood
How I Felt: 8

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willie,

Likely you're still tired from the 30k! We're pretty aggressive scheduling a 30k race and 23 mile quality run 2 weeks apart. Tell you what, I have no desire to test myself with a 21 miler this weekend. And, it's not just me. All SMARTies cut back last night at speedwork. Recovery from a tough effort like a 30k race takes time.

Steeeve

Unknown said...

I'm posting about this and what coach said. I'm having similar issues, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Great to catch up on your trials and tribulations that I have missed the last couple weeks. I agree with Steeeve - immediately after I ran the 30km (Pearland) I was mentally and emotionally high as a kite. The next day, and the next day, and the next day (notice the pattern) I was as low as I have ever been. Struggling with the workouts during these times are when, I believe, you get stronger!! Keep it up!