Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mid-day 6-miler (updated)

Texas weather is crazy. It got freakin hot out there. Partially my fault for starting my run at noon and pushing the stroller, but gee's it is DECEMBER already! Let me correct this a bit. It's a BEAUTIFUL day, but a little warm for running.

Does anyone else push a stroller with a thirty pound kid? If so, tell me what it does to your pace. Right now, my running is all over the place... no pun intended. Makes it hard to say with certainty if it slows me down or speeds me up.

Activity: Run
Mileage: 6.0 miles
Time: 1:00:50 -- 10:08 pace
11:07, 10:21, 10:00
10:08, 9:42, 9:32
Location:
Kingwood Greenbelts
How I Felt: 9.5

Erin suggested a professional massage might help my legs. I've read about runners who get massages, so I thought, "What the heck". As you've read, my legs have been sore this week with lots of little aches and pains popping up. Erin has tried massaging my legs, but there's only been minor relief. This evening I found an inexpensive RMT a mile from the house. I only scheduled a thirty minute session.

Holy crap, that hurt. She seemed very knowledgeable and immediately recognized my calves as the root problem (before ever touching them). During the session she talked to me about proper hydration and the role it plays in carrying away toxins from the muscles. She was dead on the money, because I've consumed very little water this week. Damn you, Sweat Tea!

Early in the session she told me to, "relax your calves". When I told her, "they are relaxed" she asked for me to tighten them up. She seemed shocked and told me that my calves are probably the tightest she has ever seen. After that, I received advice on stretching, because your lower extremities are only as strong and flexible as the weakest link. Therefore, tight calves are probably the reason for all my aches and pains (other muscles compensating). Anyways, the recommendation was water, water, water, stretch, and massage.

Just when I thought the worst of it was over she gave me a small sample of a true sports massage with trigger point pressure. THAT SUCKED! I felt like a wimp. I nearly jumped off the table. She said lots of active athletes get "sport massages" (deep tissue with trigger points) and you eventually get accustomed to the discomfort. My legs are still tight and sore, but I do feel better.

I was surprised how fast thirty minutes went by. The advice alone was worth my 25 bucks.

4 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Running with a stroller and a 20lb kid, definitely slows me down. But, I think it's more because of the stroller itself...I have to fight with it to get it to stay on course and that is a workout in itself.

Unknown said...

Bill, it's a running stroller? For what it's worth, I remember reading in RW mag that it's better ergonomically to run beside the stroller. It's easier on the back, I hear. You may already run that way.

Steve Bezner said...

Thanks for the massage insight.

I've never had one due to my own mental hang-ups (feel free to ask offline). I guess, perhaps I should give it a try sometime. Sounds like it worked wonders!

I would like to hear other's thoughts as well.

Unknown said...

I've been getting a massage after every long race this fall. I really think it's halped my recovery. Oh, and Steve, yes, I pay for it. :o)