Sunday, December 10, 2006

Methodist Sugarland Hospital 30k report

My worst race this fall season. Everything fell apart. Sucky weather. Lots of concrete. Pain(s); right ITB, right knee, left ankle, minor shin splints, and the same hip-butt-thigh pain from yesterday. Pony diagnosed my pain as "sciatic nerve pain", which requires advil. Thanks for the advice pony!

If I plan to run longer distances, I must learn to run through pain. With those thoughts running through my head, I picked up the pace for the last 2 miles. I was impressed with my effort level at the end (9:10 pace for the the last 2-miles). I picked-off 21 people on my way to the finish line. Too bad there were multiple times earlier where I was forced to walk and 943 runners passed me. Hell, the number of people who passed me could be higher!

I'm ok with today's results. I've had a good run with the fall series and I can't expect them all to be great runs.

18.79 miles (garmin)
3:17:46 -- 10:31 pace
9:57, 10:16, 9:58, 10:02
9:54, 9:40, 9:45, 9:52
10:56, 11:10, 10:41, 9:56
11:40, 12:11, 12:23, 12:04,
10:47, 9:40, 6:46 (0.79 mile)
Sugarland, TX
Felt: 8.0

Offical time and pace: 3:18:13 -- 10:39 pace


I spent several hours after the race with my friend Reuben. Reuben was transported to the hospital for dehydration and heat exhaustion. I'm glad to report he's doing fine and relaxing at home. Reuben told me that he has never had to walk in a race before today. That didn't stop him from placing third in his age bracket with a speedy 2:23:02. Rueben ROCKS!

6 comments:

Crosstrain said...

That 30K is no fun run Bill, way to put those miles in the bank and finish strong.

Anonymous said...

Hang your head high my friend! You just ran 18.6 miles just a little over 10 minutes per mile. Not many can do that! WTG!

Bonus points for coming to Reuben's aid!

Bill ROCKS!

Unknown said...

Dude, you've got a great attitude. And Steve's right. 18.6 is a looooong way. You must be proud of your accomplishment. I sure am proud of you, Bill.

Glad Rueben is a-ok and thanks for taking care of him. Reuben rocks and Bill is KING!!!

Junie B said...

I find a few things interesting...

1) that you counted the 21 people you passed and i have no doubt that that is an accurate number. Not sure i would have had the mind to count accurately

2) that you were freaking able to do THAT the last couple of miles!!!!

3) that given everything you went through that you had the strength and the BIIIIIG heart to take care of Reuben. THIS is why you're a Strider!!!

YOU.
ROCK.

TX Runner Mom said...

I agree with everyone above and just want to add my own - YOU ROCK! You pushed through the bad stuff and finished!!! Way to go. BTW, what's up? We seem to be having the same aches and pains, LOL!

Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Hey there!

you are such a good person, Bill. I am very glad to count you amongst my friends yesterday. And you are doing to kick that marathon's butt.

Hell, you are about to kick mine!

All the best!!!