Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Determination (updated)

Have you ever wondered what a typical day is like at the Fire Station?Well, here's a general timeline of today's shift:

7:40 Arrived at work 20 minutes early
7:45 EMS call. Construction worker struck by a 300 lb tar kettle lid
9:00 Back at the station
9:10 Normal morning duties (roster, checking the units, etc)
10:20 EMS call. Store clerk cut her head while working in stock room
11:25 Back at station
11:30 Went to lunch (Jason's Deli)
12:15 Back at station
12:30 EMS call. Syncopal episode at Academy
1:00 - 4:00 EMS CE, we arrived late due to call (1:45)
4:00 Dressed and ready to run
4:05 Raining cats and dogs
4:10 Decide on weight training
4:30 Plan to do one-hour on the stationary bike
4:35 EMS call. Chest pain, possible MI.
6:30 Back from call
7:00 Dinner
7:20 Back on stationary bike
8:10 EMS call. 2-month old chocking. Turn's out the child spit up her milk (new parents)
8:30 Back from call
8:35 Back on bike
8:40 Completed 1-hour on the bike. I decide to run
8:50 Running around the station
9:30 EMS call. CPR in progress at nursing home. Termination of efforts.
10:00 Back at station
10:10 Running again
10:30 Exhausted and left shin starting to ache. DAMN, so close to ten miles.
10:40 Shower
11:00 Blog

I have at least two hours worth of paperwork. Depending on the call volume, I get to sleep after that! This was a typical day. Some days are slower, some are busier.
Update:
1:27 am. I just finished all my reports and I'm heading to bed.
2nd update:
4:05 EMS call. Unresponsive person. Patient alert upon arrival. Apparent stomach virus.
4:50 Back in bed
7:00 Up and out of bed
0710-07:45 General station duties (cleaning)
07:55 HEADING HOME!

Activity: Workout
Body Region: Mid-body
Location: Humble FD Gym
Time: 30 minutes
How I Felt: 10

Activity: Stationary Bike
Level: 3 (wimpy, considering it goes to 16)
Time: 1:00:00 -- Average mph 13.6
Location: Humble FD Gym
How I felt: 10

Activity: Run
Mileage: 7.13 miles
Time: Don't know... see notes below
Location: Humble FD
How I Felt: 8.5

In the morning rush to get Alison to daycare before work, I forgot my garmin. Plus, I currently do not have a wrist watch (wrist band broke last week). When I decided to run, I had no way to time myself. The only thing I had was an old fashion punch counter that I keep in my locker. The loop's around the station always measures 0.30-0.32 with the garmin. The punch counter helps me keep track of the total number of laps, which I multiply by the average GPS measurement (0.31).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...Jason's Deli.

Homer

(Terrific post, Willie)

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Just wanted to say I appreciate you guys - your schedule is definately a selfless one and it takes extraodinary individuals to do what you do.

ps - nice determination yesterday to get your workout(s) in!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight into your world. As I sit in my cozy office, I'm in awe what you guys do on a daily basis. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Great post. Thank you for your service. You really are a hero.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great post! I think I have rough days..your "typical" one looks 100X crazier than my busiest day at the office. Thanks for everything you do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling us about your day! I always wondered how many calls were in a typical day and how many of those calls were serious, DOA, or no big deal. Very interesting!