Saturday, December 09, 2006

Sunmart and a short run

I drove an hour North to Huntsville, all for the sake of a few Sunmart participants. I knew a few were going, but ended up seeing a lot of folks I know. I left before they all finished but, here's a mini recap:

Matt Wright: ~4:15:xx
Mr Boone was fast enough for 14th overall and 3rd in his AG. The bronze horse trophy was awesome! Shortly after learning of his placement Matt said, "I would have run harder if I knew the gifts were this cool". Matt Rocks!

Sean McDowell: 5:00:38
What a day for Sean. He has NEVER entered a race before. His running debut was a 50k in 5 hours. WOW, what else can you say? He had the opportunity to share his accomplishment with both his wife and beautiful daughter, Sunny. Oh yeah, and me!

Other's I saw: Keith, Holden, Jon, and Disco. There were other familiar faces, but I'm not the best with names. One thing I found unique was runners actually stopping and talking to me. I asked Keith how he felt and he replied, "I'm dying". There was a long pause where I tried to determine is he was joking or serious. Keith, your too funny! That's why I read your blog.... it has very little to do with your running. Keith seemed confident and could have easily done a couple extra loops.
Also had a chance to talk with Jon, who wasn't far behind Holden and Keith. All three looked strong and seemed to be having a grand time.

Disco was so full of energy she was dancing at the turn-around. Her only words included, "I just want to finish upright" and "I'd rather be dancing". Disco didn't look like she had walked from her car, much less run half a 50k! You go girl!

The energy was over the top. I can't wait to start running these longer distances. I took my camera, but I think it is officially dead. The camera wouldn't turn on this morning. That's a bummer. I had the chance to capture some great photos. I had to leave at 1:30 due to other obligations. Sorry to the runners I did not see finish. I was with you in spirit!

On my way home I called Kevin and asked if he wanted to go running. He had run 10 miles with Woodlands Fit this morning, but still jumped at the chance to join me. True to the day, we went running through some trails near his home. Half of the trail was made by ATV's and the other part was a pipeline. The run ended up being four miles in moderately high grass, low hanging branches, roots, holes, and rocks. Kind of technical... to me. Within the first fifty yards I experienced a sharp pain on my left hip, running down my butt, thigh, and occasionally to my calf. I stopped several times to stretch. I have no idea what this is. Never felt it before. The shin splints are also bothering me. Time for lots of ibprofren and ice. I hate feeling like this before a race, but there is nothing I can do.

Activity: Run - trail
Mileage: 4.04 miles
Time: 45:29 -- 11:15 pace
Location: Conroe, TX
How I Felt: 6

2 comments:

SRR said...

Maybe RICE it before the race.
:-)
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elavation

Woodlands Runner said...

Thanks for coming out. After 18 miles, I needed all the encouragement I could get.