Monday, May 07, 2007

WHAT A DAY!

Literally two minutes after my last post EVERYTHING changed.
Let me start from the beginning:
Erin agreed to stay with me a couple days after the surgery to help out. This morning she was having a lot of abdominal discomfort, but nothing serious. Once we got home from my surgery I immediately posted on blogger. During that time she commented that she was "having contractions". Next thing I knew she was bent over in the hallway crying. I had been home from knee surgery a whooping ten minutes when this went down. We called Erin's OB/GYN who told us to get to the hospital immediately. Who would have thought that I would be driving my wife to the hospital less than an hour after being released from surgery?

Thank GOD my knee is strong and healthy. I've had to do lots to help her out, which has really tested the knee. Its strong, but starting to ache. Plus my sore throat and headache is back.

Back to Erin. Come to find out the discomfort she had been experiencing since 7am was pre-term labor. She had three unbearable contractions once we arrived home. Had it not been for those, she might not have sought medical attention. I knew something was wrong when she was crying, cause she has a decent pain-threshold. At the hospital they did all the usual stuff to check her and Garret out. Shorty after the examinations they administered 1500ml of ringers lactate to keep her well hydrated (apparently dehydration will cause contractions). Then she received three injections of turbutaline to help stop the contractions, which will be followed by oral breathine every 6 hours. Garret it 31 weeks, which is entirely too early. He need him to cook a little longer. At 5:30pm most of the contractions have stopped. A couple minutes ago (7:30pm) she said she's had a couple more, but nothing serious. Due to the regularity of the contractions and time sensitive medications, she was admitted for the night.

MHNE Hospital has weird rules. I was with Erin all day, but at one point I had to get Alison. The hospital does not allow children under 12 years old into the L&D patient rooms.... not even siblings. This sucks. I am forced to stay at home, away from Erin. I understand Alison needs me too, but I can't understand why she is not welcome in a private room. And since I have Alison... I refuse to take any pain medications. I'm trying my best to deal with the progressively increasing pain. This is hard, cause I've done a considerable amount of walking and driving since the surgery. I no longer feel as I did in the prior post..

As you can see... this is a day to be remembered!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaaaay everybody!

Steeeve

Humble Runner said...

????
I'm confused.

What are we yaaaying? ... oh yeah, everyone is healthy and well, right?

Pony and Petey said...

Bill...I have Wednesday free... would you feel comfortable with me watching Alison for you? Do you have anyone else you can call for help? I'm totally booked up tomorrow or else I'd come up then.

I used to be a nanny and have run a day care from home for many years so I do have experience. Not sure if Alison would be too scared or if Erin would be comfortable having me watch Alison. Or what else can I do to help? Let me know! I'm free on Thursday too...

Anonymous said...

Bill, I will keep you and Erin in my thoughts and prayers. OMG, what a day you had. I do hope Erin is resting well. Get OFF YOUR KNEE!!!

B. Wright

Humble Runner said...

Pony, thanks a million for the offer. Today was, uhhhh... hectic, but tomorrow seems to be in order.

Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Just offering encouragement and support (shorthand) is all...Steeeve

Anonymous said...

If anyone can handle this it is you Bill! Kinda makes mile 21 of a marathon seem like child's play!! Hope everyone is doing better!

Pop, lock, 'n drop it Bill!!

Steve Bezner said...

Wishing you all nothing but the best!

Get well soon! (Everybody)!

Unknown said...

Great to see you and Erin last night and to see that Erin was feeling better. I think everything is going to be just fine. Thoughts and prayers.