Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Easy run with a new friend

Activity: Run
Mileage: 2.57 miles
Time: 33:05 -- 12:53 pace
Location: Kingwood Greenbelts

Activity: Weight Training
Body Region: Upper
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym

Last week Alison and I were feeding the turtles and I met a girl running around the bayou. I ended up talking to her. Come to find out, she just moved back to Texas from St. Paul and was hoping to find a "running club". I instantly turned into the official Houston Strider Recruiting Officer. I offered to run with her and she was excited about the possibility of a running partner. Long story short.... Lynn and I met today for a neighborhood run. Lynn is a new runner who has a large interest in running as a means of weight loss. Sound familiar? Before the move Lynn was up to 5/1's and had a long run of 2 miles. We changed things up a bit today by running 1/2 mile and walking a couple minutes. It was a nice easy pace. It felt good to give her a couple pointers... simple stuff like: get ride of the cotton shirts and such.

Before running with Lynn, Alison and I did a modified SILLY WALKS session in the front yard. Anyone know any books regarding very young children and running? Alison and I went for a half mile warm up and it was everything I could do to keep up with her. She was holding a low 9:00 minute pace the entire time.... and that's because I was telling her to slow down. At the end she wasn't breathing hard or in any distress. I always let her pick the pace and allow her to walk whenever she wants to, but she's like the energizer bunny. I just want to make sure we keep running fun and ensure I "do no damage".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There goes Willie flexing his coaching skills in interesting directions. You're a natural!

Steeeve

Unknown said...

If you find a good book, let me know (and I'll do the same). I think I have awhile before I have to start worrying about it, but Riley is already loving to run laps around the yard. I wish I had 1/2 her energy!