Saturday, May 26, 2007

Road bike for sale

Activity: Bike
Mileage: 20.15 miles
Time: 1:27:02 -- 13.9 avg mph
Location: Duessin Park

Traveling about 17 mph. Turned to the right. Bike went to the left. I continued my right hand turn, but without the bike.... via skidding across the road. See, I've owned "real bikes" before.... you know the one with a motor under you? When you turn, you lean into the curve. Example; If you were making a right hand turn you would simply lean to the right, push down on the right side of the handlebar and pull up on the left side of the handlebar. That's how you steer a motorcycle. You never turn the handlebars into the curve. Naturally, I thought the same would apply with my road bike. Found out the hard way I was wrong.

Lots of road rash on my right side. Primarily my right elbow, both hands, and forearm. Ripped some nice clothes and a new pair of cycling gloves. Nice contusion on my right palm, where I tried to catch myself. And the mystery injury is a contusion/abrasions on my left knuckle, which has a fair amount of swelling. All in all, I think I faired okay in the wreck.

The wreck happened at two-miles, but I continued with my 20 mile ride. After my personal accident investigation, the accident was clearly avoidable for three reasons:

1: Front wheel is way low on air. Cause the tires are itty-bitty, the tire tends to roll on sharp turns without the right amount of air. (my observation)
2: Operator Error of mass proportions
3: I should have went running, then there would have never been a wreck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

B-Dawg,

When you are rolling through yo hood you gotsta jack the tire pressure before you start cruisin', or you will be ridin' dirty!

Glad you faired ok! You should watch the Tour de France this July and you will bear witness to some extreme wipeouts!

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Sorry about the wreck, but congratulations on your manly road rash which you can show off. However, the pain and discomfort are indeed a function of 3), bailing on the run this morning :-O

Steeeve

Crosstrain said...

Ouch. My road rashes are just about healed. You are now, officially, a cyclist as well as a runner.

Pony and Petey said...

Bummer! But I'm so glad it wasn't any worse!!!

Sarah said...

Yep, gotta check those tires before every ride -- they lose air just sitting in the garage. Also, if the road was wet, you really have to slow down in corners as well.

Congrats on becoming a real cyclist. ;)