Friday, October 20, 2006

Time for another RESET, (long post)

Felt good in the gym. I've decided to run two extra miles tonight. How cool will it be to run 50-miles in one week?

Activity: Weight Training
Body Region: Upper-body
Time: 30 minutes
Location: Home Gym
How I Felt: 10

Weight: 215.5

Why do something today, that can be put off till Monday? :-) Starting Monday the diet is going into overdrive. I'm forever changing my plans, trying to find that one thing that will change my life. I'm close. My current problem is "stick-to-it-ness". Its not enough to talk about a healthier lifestyle. The proof is in the action of a man.

I was REALLY happy below 200 lbs, so that's the first of many goals. The timeline is now represented as a range. Similar to my last race, where I wanted to run 1:30-1:40. My weight goal range is 12.31.06 to 01.13.06. Sounds reasonable, right? I'll keep records of my intake, but probably leave it off the blog. Some of my family and friends said all the numbers were rather boring. The body weight posting's will remain, until I see it's not working. Right now I like the idea of seeing it every single day. I'm already full of motivation.

Now, for a running update. I'm going for mileage, placing speed training is secondary. This makes since for a lot of reasons. One. It is all about intake versus output for someone trying to lose weight. Two: I'll never be "fast" until I get my weight down. Three. More than one speed session per week is not fun to me. Four: I'm more intrigued by distance than speed.

With that said, I don't know where I stand with the SMART program. SMART is solid as a rock, with a track record second to none. I'm confident I could meet or exceed any expectations with just minor adherence to the program. After giving the idea some thought, I think I need to knock-out the first marathon with little regard to my finish time. I want it to be fun. I can almost promise you next year I'll be looking for a Houston Marathon PR and SMART will get me there. Can we say, Steve Bezner??

I'm going to follow the SMART program the best I can. I'll amend some of the "speed" days, by converting the training into mileage to be completed.

Stay tuned. I'll probably change everything next week. ;-)

Update:
Activity: Easy Run
Mileage:
2 miles
Time: 24:00 -- 12:00 pace
Location: Home Treadmill
How I Felt: 9

3 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Sounds like a great plan! I have no doubt that you'll be where you want to be in no time!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dude...I remember coming to some of the same conclusions when I was at my "pre-optimum racing weight". Every time I tried for speed I would get discouraged (cause I was never fast enough to consider myself a REAL runner) and I would end up injured and not able to run for a bit and that made the weight struggle that much harder!

I'm proud of you for seeing the wisdom in remaining flexible. And for knowing what's working and what isn't. And for taking the actions necessary for your health, happiness and future running/racing career!

We're in this together and I SO appreciate you sharing this with your blogger family...I'm ALMOST thinking about posting my daily weight... GULP!

Unknown said...

That's kind of the reason I switched to Hal Higdon's program. I just want to do more slow, easy, long miles for now and continued weight loss is a big part of that.

Good job and very wise for you, Bill. Look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing.