Thursday, October 19, 2006

8 easy miles

Tonight's run was so nice that I decided it needed its own post.

I got lazy and skipped the SMART group workout. I enjoy the SMART sessions, but the long drive gets really old. Elected to run in my neighborhood. Over the last couple weeks, I have spent a fair amount of time running of softer surfaces. This may sound odd, but it felt good to be on solid ground. Of course, most of today's utopia is due to the 20 degree drop in temperature. Either way, the run went really well.

I hate to mention anything negative, but there is one thing. Every time I tried to drop the pace below 9:30, I got a side stitch. I tried all the typical remedies. The only thing that worked was a slower pace and trust me, the pace suited me just fine.

Its time to ready myself for a new distance PR. Saturday I will take a shot at 18-miles. I feel good about it. The game plan is slow and easy.

If I could run an additional 2.5 miles between now and Saturday, I would have my FIRST 50-mile week. With a little hard work, this week could be filled full of milestones.

Activity: Easy run
Mileage: 8.07 miles
Time: 1:20:30 -- 9:59 pace
Splits:
10:26, 10:15, 9:53, 9:57,
9:48, 9:48, 9:47, 9:56, 0:40 (0.07)
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9.5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You said it as I was thinking it. Milestones!!! Great week, Bill. Good luck on the 18. You going to be at the Bear Creek 10K/20K?

Anonymous said...

With this weather and your determination, I am sure 50 will be realized by the end of the week!
ps - I find when I start stitching up that I focus on dropping my elbows real low, which effectively drops your shoulders, and start forcing my exhales out. I stitched up yesterday myself quite badly but this little remedy rarely lets me down!