Saturday, September 23, 2006

Running to my own Beat

Missed the scheduled SMART, T-L-T run. Slept through the alarm clock this morning. I don't mean I woke up and hit the snooze for a little extra sleep. I literally slept through the alarm clock. It was still going off at 9:00 am when I woke up. Two-hours sleep in 48-hours will take its toll with or without an alarm clock. I felt under the weather this morning, but it subsided after the first run.

Several correspondences with Coach today in search of a reasonable running plan for the weekend. I asked about two medium distance runs today and possibly two more tomorrow. He discouraged four runs in two days. He's always right, so it will be. I work tomorrow, which makes it difficult to do serious mileage. Now I need a distance for tomorrow. I think he suggested 6-8 miles.

Today was a huge surprise. I decided to follow TX runner girl and log both mileage and catch up on some quality TV time via the treadmill. It went a lot better than I had expected. I planned to run 2 x 4-miles. I ended up running 2 x 6 miles. I suspect my treadmill needs to be calibrated, because I was running at an effort level of 7. I cranked the treadmill up to 6 mph and it seemed tough. That is only a 10:00 minute pace and I know I'm better than that.

My legs are still thanking me for the forgiving surface. As Coach said, "Concrete will rattle your bones". My knees and feet feel great. I could have went longer on both runs, but choose to keep it at 12-miles. The runs were separated by 5 hours.

Activity: Easy run x 2
Mileage: 12.08 miles
Time: 2:17:00 -- 11:20 pace
Location: Home Treadmill
How I Felt: 9

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Treadmills really confuse me. I think they're all hoakie!!!

Man, you must have been wiped out to just sleep through the alarm. Glad you're caught up.

We've posponed our 10-miler by about an hour to give a chance for the last of the storms to pass through. I think it's going to be a great week weather-wise and I'm looking forward to some good training. Later

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Tell ya what, AC and indoor running sound pretty good! We had fun on the Big Bear Creek course this morning but once again conditions were rather brutal. Good job on those back-to-back six milers. Agree your treadmill might need some calibration as 6mph should feel piece-o-cake to you.

Steeeve

TX Runner Mom said...

See, running on the treadmill isn't so bad when accompanied by the tv! I agree that the treadmill may need some adjusting though. Good job on your run!