Monday, September 04, 2006

Long Race Report - (REVISED)

Sorry about the improper use of grammar, typeo's, and lack of clarity in the initial post. Maybe this revision "reads" better.

I'm still glowing in the aftermath of today's race. I can't stop smiling because, I-Made-it-Happen. 5k personal record in an astonishing time.

After last Saturdays run, I received an email from Coach who was offering to "pace" me to a 24:48 goal. Naturally, I jumped on the opportunity. I figured if he was willing to pace me, he knew that I had the ability. From that point on, I put my best foot forward. I went to bed earlier, ate healthier, hydrated properly, and had Erin massage my legs. I felt strong all day Sunday and this morning. I Sensed a 5k PR was within my reach. Who knew it would be more than I had planned?

The morning started at 6:30 am with a 1.25 mile warm up. Good, clean pace. Ten minutes before the start we did four strides. Then Coach and I strategically placed ourselves in the starting line with a couple minutes to spare.

Not much talking during the entire race. At the half-mile mark I felt my legs prematurely tiring from the faster pace. Before the one mile marker, I told Coach that I had NOT settled-into a rhythmic pace. Typically, I find a "rhythm" well before one mile. Our first mile split was 7:26. I made the comment' "That's probably why I haven't settled-in yet" and received some positive words from Coach. We made a small adjustment and moved on.

Even less talking on our way to the second mile. I was breathing hard, which was audible to anyone within ten yards of me. I'm not too sure why, but I kept coughing. Felt like something was tickling my throat. The cough did not effect my running.

I had serious doubt I could maintain the current pace between miles 2 and 3. Fortunately, Frank came up from beside us. It was very inspiring to run a 5k with Steeve on one side of me and Frank on the other. Both these men have had a significant role in my running abilities. I guess one could say I wanted to make them proud. Seeing Frank and listening to Coaches encouraging words to other runners distracted my mind from the pain in my legs. I felt like I was falling back during the last mile. My running was pulsing from; running next to Coach, then running ten yards behind him, and then back next to him. The pace felt progressively slower with the same amount of effort.

In the end, I wanted to walk even though the finish line was in sight. That was a first for me. With a quarter-mile to go, Coach asked for a final push to the end. I obliged. It was a weak finish, but I gave all I had. Fortunately, the finish line clock sucked me in. Never in my wildest dreams did I think sub-24:00 would happen. Seeing 23:xx on the clock pushed all the right buttons. The clock stopped at 23:51

The abrupt stop for chip retrieval ended in me hitting the ground (softly). I bent over a bit and the light-headiness took me down. Luckily, I was near the side of the finish shoot. I simply rolled out and laid down on the concrete for a few minutes. It must have been a funny site to see. Oh well, I know that I gave it my all.

We finished the mornings event with a one-mile cool down. I elected to run with Kevin (28:46), since he had drove from Conroe and I hadn't spent any time with him. Near the end Kevin and I caught up with Erin, who was almost done with the 1.5 mile family walk. Erin pulled triple duty as; cheerleader, participant, and photographer. Erin Rocks!

In other news. Ten Striders got additional exercise walking up to the winners podium. My age bracket was SWEPT by the Houston Striders. Lots of PR's. ALL had a good time.

Thank you, Coach. I don't know exactly know what else to say. I know without you, I would have not smashed my old PR of 26:35 by -2:44. Thanks for believing in me!

Activity: Race
Mileage: 3.11 miles
Time: 23:51 -- 7:40 pace
Splits: (per garmin)
7:26, 7:42, 7:49, 0.54 (0.11 mile)
Location: Sugarland Texas
How I felt:
Pre-Run 10
During Run 7
Post-Run 5

Activity: Warm-up, cool-down Run
Mileage: 2.25 miles
Time: 23:12 -- 10:41 pace

Saw lots of people I know. No disrespect meant by the lack of "shout-outs", but this post is already waaaay long.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Bill, I'm not surprised you went under 24. You were well prepared.

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! That is just AWESOME!! Major congratulations from this corner!

Anonymous said...

You nailed it, Tex. Awesome demonstration of cashing in on your training. I'm tickled by Pony's response, it says it all.

Great photos from Erin, it's tremendous she came out and captured the energy of the morning.

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Great Job Bill!

I like to think there was some extra motivation from me for picking the "over." :)

Keith.

Junie B said...

grrrrrrrrrrreat job!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

WOW! Fantastic Bill. It's been a pleasure watching (via blog) you get so speedy. :)

Unknown said...

Now that's the way I want to run a 5K one day. I probably left 15% out there today. Kept worrying about maintaining my pace for that long, when is the next marker. I need to walk. All the loser stuff. I'd like to run a race like you did and leave nothing on the course.

Way to go, Bill!! I so appreciate your effort and will!

Steve Bezner said...

Awesome run Bill! You finished 9th in your age group, out of 27 finishers. Your in the top 1/3!!! And as you we know the top 3 in our age group are some pretty fast Striders! The next mile time trial (Oct. maybe??), should be another huge PR!

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!