Saturday, September 09, 2006

4:13 marathon??

I'll start with the bad news. I missed an 800 meter interval. Lost count at the Stratford track and did not realize the shortage till now.

The schedule: "Yasso Workout, demo-version"; 2 mile warm up, 6 x 800 @ 10k pace with 400 meter recovery, and 2 mile cool down.

The weather was awesome. Sure, we'll see more heat in the coming weeks, but it is a nice preview of cool fall weather to come. Coach stated that the Yasso workout is a tied and true marathon predictor. Today we ran six Yasso's, which will lead into the full Yasso workout of 10 x 800 meter intervals. Your average 800 meter time directly correlate's to your total marathon time. My average 800 was 4:13. I would have liked it closer to 4:00, but it is what it is. I refuse to run anything over 4:30 and I dream of a 3:59:59. Only time will tell.

The entire session was uneventful. I worked VERY hard to pace myself. Several runs in the last couple of weeks have been painful due to some energetic kicks in the middle of a long session. I executed my plan perfectly, but I'm worried I took it too easy today. Coach Steeve's music choice (weird Al) kept my mind off the redundancy associated with track workouts. Santos was a huge help on my cool down. Running with Santos helped me pick my pace up. Thanks Dude, you ROCK!

It was amazing to watch fellow Striders Chip and Chris run their Yasso intervals. I seldom mention the "elites" on my blog, but they are always there. Astonishingly talented runners. Chip averaged sub-3:00 minute 800's and Chris wasn't far behind him. Way to go speedsters!

Activity: Run
Mileage: 7.74 miles
Time: 1:11:57 -- 9:18 pace
2 mile warm up: 20:18 -- 10:09 pace
Yasso 800's and 400 recovery
4:03 - 2:33
4:20 - 2:29
4:21 - 2:27
4:12 - 2:33
4:10 - 2:28
2 mile cool down: 18:03 -- 9:02 pace
Location: Stratford High School Track
How I Felt: 9.5

This was a good week of running. Very happy with my progression and lack of aches and pains.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots to like about your workout. Well over an hour at 4 hour marathon pace, for example. What I like best is that your cooldown was a minute/mile slower than your warmup. Looking good!

Steeeve

Steve Bezner said...

Great Running!

SRR said...

You are improving so much! I am so proud of you!

Ms Eva said...

That's awesome! I may have to give the Yasso workout a try. :)