Saturday, September 02, 2006

The good, the bad, and the...

What started good, ended shitty. How many times are people going to tell me to "pace yourself", before I start listening?

Today's schedule: 2 mile warm up, silly walks, 3 x 1200 meter @ 10k pace with ~400 meter recovery, 4 mile long run, followed by 2 x 1200 meter @ 10k pace with 400 meter recovery, and FINALLY a 2 mile cool down.

I have all the splits listed below. I highlighted the miles with intervals in red. Some splits are good, others are normal. The warm up was a tad too fast. The first two intervals were at a nice pace. I pushed hard on the third interval and ran the tank dry. I managed to do ok with the 4 miles, but I had some shoe issues. The shoe insert kept bunching up and starting to rub a blister on the bottom of my foot. I spent a lot of time trying to fix the problem, but in the end I took them out. The shoe insert is very thin. So, I thought this would be no big deal. It's a lot more padding than I had assumed. It felt like I was running barefoot. Yeah, that's an exaggeration, but it was a big difference without the insert.

When I finished the 4 miles, most everyone else was getting ready for the cool down run to their cars. Seemed like the sun was a little higher in the sky than usual. It got hot fast, which beat me up pretty bad. I ran the fourth 1200 easily albeit slower than the first set. I "blew-up" on the final 1200. The last interval was a disaster and resulted with me walking about 50% of the distance.

I took an extended water break before the two mile cool down jog. The final two miles were uneventful, just very, very hot. I'm content with the session, but I wish I would have been able to finish the last interval. True to my new favorite saying, "It is, what it is".

Oh yeah, I saw Pony on the jog back to my truck. It felt like it was 90 degrees outside and she looked as if she hadn't broke a sweat yet! Nice to see ya out there, WTG Pony!

Activity: Track-Long-Track
Mileage: 12.45 miles
Time: 1:59:20 -- 9:35 overall pace
Mile splits (left to right):
9:38, 9:13, 8:36, 8:23, 7:59, 9:41, 10:17,
10:24, 10:16, 9:07, 10:11, 10:46, 4:49 (0.45 miles)
Location: Little Bear Park
How I Felt: 7

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great running, Tex, that was a fierce workout. As I mentioned, I've had some insert bunching issues with my Sauconys as of late, especially on up and downhills. Great you saw the Ponyster, sorry I missed her...

Steeeve

Anonymous said...

dear bill,
the good news is that shit washes off. keep running see you on the trail. be positive but realistic with your 5k on monday. i predict a huge pr.
best of everything Maaaaaaaaaaatt.

Unknown said...

I had a poorly paced run this morning, too. I thougth I had a pretty good effort going that I could sustain, then the Sun started beating down on me and I sorta bonked. It's hard doing 9 by yourself too.

Humble Runner said...

Maybe I didn't say enough good things about this run. Last week I ran 13 miles in 2:26:xx, this run was 12.5 miles in 1:58:xx. Now, thats a HUGE distance/time PR.

I'm happy with the run, but I didn't use my head and propery gauge the ENTIRE workout.

Sandly enough, I do that often.

I will agree it was hot.

SRR said...

I'm gonna have to to quite reading your blog because you are getting so speedy!! I'm jealous!!

Anonymous said...

It was great seeing you too! That really made me feel happy. It's SO much fun being part of the Super Strider Nation = ))