Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Exactly what the Doctor ordered

Just when I'm feeling mentally and physically fatigued I have a run like today and get Reeled back in. A couple of bad days was stopped tonight with a near-perfect run. Yesterday you couldn't pay me to run and today I fell in love with the sport all over again.

The schedule: Q-club run, which equals ~6.55 miles at an easy pace with opportunities for manly surges. It took some searching, but I found the numbers from my last Q-club run:
Mileage: 6.76 miles
Time: 1:03:49 -- 9:27 pace
Date: May 31, 2006

If you stayed indoors today, you missed the best one this month.

Back to the run. Met the Houston Striders for their weekly Wednesday night run. Nice crowd, probably 20+ folks. The run couldn't have started better. Once we hit the park loop I said, "Look I ran with the leaders for nearly 10 feet". By then the gazelles (David, Mark, and Chip) were nearly ten-yards ahead. They immediately fell back and said, "We'll run with you for a while". And that's exactly what they did. It was really cool to run with the lead back, even if it was only for five-minutes. That's what being a Strider is all about. Thanks guys, you made my day!

Coach Steeve joined me after the 1.5 mile water stop. We ran the entire distance within ear shot of each other. Lots of informative conversation and oodles of excellent running. I'm sure I forgot to say it, so I'll say it here and now: "Thanks Coach!". Every mile was sub-9:00 minute pace. That's a big accomplishment for me. Before the turn around point I started feeling really good. I'm excited how comfortable I felt at a sub-9:00 minute pace. I had enough left near the end to finish strong. Very good run tonight.

Left Memorial park for a post run gathering at Jax Bar and Grill. I had a superb time visiting with Lee, Steeve, Barb, Mark, Matt, and Tim.

Activity: Run
Mileage: 6.55 miles
Time: 57:01 -- 8:42 pace
Splits:
8:58, 8:51, 8:56, 8:48, 8:59, 8:23, 4:06 (0.55 mile)
Location: Memorial park to Uptown Plaza
How I Felt: 10

4 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Those Striders really know how to motivate you, yet keep it fun!

Great Run Bill!

Anonymous said...

That was outstanding running, Tex! And, bonus, good discipline at Jax (where it's way easy to OD on deeeelicious calories) :-O

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Ok, Bill, now that is some seriously good running. Love to see those 10's. Glad you had a good run. You deserve it.

SRR said...

Yeah for you! I keep coming here and get so impressed with your progress!! So...what about the pig, baby??? Can I entice you now speedy?