Saturday, September 30, 2006

HARRA Cross Country Relay

Skipped the 5-mile morning run. Missed the 1-mile pre-race warm up. Otherwise, the day went as planned. :-)

Ran along Memorial/Buffalo Bayou. Registered our four-man team under "Open Male". Each member ran an identical 2-mile leg. Started my leg too fast. At 0.35 miles, the garmin read: 6:34 pace. YIKES! I immediately slowed down, but the pace had already taken its toll. I was VERY NERVOUS from 0.25 to 1.25 mile, because I was experiencing left sided chest pain. Not side stiches and much different that I have felt before. Had this NOT been a relay, I would have stopped. The pain never progressed, nor did I have any other cardiac-like symptoms. Once the pain subsided no other issues arouse.

Race hosted by the Tornados. Job well done, Tornados!

Team Name: Four Synergistic Striders
Synergistic: The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

Leg 1:
Juan Arrieta-- 16:59 -- 8:30 pace

Leg 2:
Ryan Stepler -- 16:24 -- 8:12 pace

Leg 3:
Bill Cox -- 17:42 -- 8:51 pace

Leg 4:
Jeff Urban -- 13:11 -- 6:36 pace

Unofficial team time: 1:04:19

2 comments:

WalkSports.com said...

I don't know Jeff, but Juan's a great guy! I took the handoff from him in '05 at Beach To Bay in the transition from leg 4 to leg 5.

Give Ryan some kudos - in addition to your own - after he did Race for the Cure earlier in the morning!

It was good to visit with you a little bit this evening. Thanks for your time!

Unknown said...

Wonder what that pain was??? Hope all is ok.

Great run, Bill. You're team kicked butt!!!