Thursday, August 31, 2006

North Side MELT-DOWN

Can you believe it? Another great workout. What a week!

The schedule: 2 mile warm up, SMARTie Hop, 2 mile melt-down @ 10k pace, and 2 mile cool down.

Started the workout early. Maintained a comfortable and conversational pace. Immediately after the warm up I had to make an EMS call (I'm at work). I was back at the station within one hour to finish the workout.

After a quick bite to eat, I lead a few of the guys from work (Strider Bandits) through the Northside SMARTie Hop session. This turned out to be a lot of fun. The biggest laughs were during the maniacs. The biggest cries were during the wall shin raises. And during the greyhounds it turned into the race of the century. Oh yeah, I BEAT them every time. But not without some serious effort on my part. Damn men and their egos! It felt really nice to lead them. I do it dailey as part of my job, but it was nice to lead them through something different.

I've hinted about it several times, so I'll come out directly and say it. I aspire to be a coach. And maybe someday, with the right credentials I would like to help coach new runners. Ok, stop laughing already... it wasn't that funny. When I'm around other runners I'm simply ANOTHER runner. Here at work and home I'm the "guy-who-runs". I read lots of running magazines and books (when I have time), and many of you can contest to my endless questions. All my conversations are rooted around running. Either I just got back from a run, going on a run, or talking about wanting to run. I'm sure everyone is sick and tired of me talking about it all the time, but several people have come to me with questions. What an awesome feeling to turn someone onto running. I may not always give them the right answer, but I make sure they get their monies worth of free advice. A couple guys who I have helped out are doing well. All right, now I'm rambling. You get the point.

Check out my melt down. Knowing tomorrow is an off day, I put the hammer down and it shows. Really happy with my running this week.

Activity: Run-SMARTie Hop
Mileage: 6 miles
Time: 57:00 -- 9:30 pace
2-mile warm up: 10:00, 9:33
2-mile Meltdown: 8:46, 8:11
2-mile cool down: 10:36, 9:55
Location: Humble Fire Department
How I Felt: 9

4 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

WTG Coach Bill! ;)

Monday is the, "Fired UP 5k", maybe you can get some of your brethren firefighters to come out and run the 5k. Regardless, I'm looking forward to some great racing.

Seeya Sat. for the TLT.

Anonymous said...

Coach William "Bill",

Woah, it is all good. To be an effective coach you need to be interested, available and capable. Score on all 3 counts!

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Another inspiring post from Bill. Proud of you, Bill.

TX Runner Mom said...

Great post Bill! I think you would make a great coach.