Thursday, August 10, 2006

Era un bueno corre!

My title comes to you compliments of FreeTranslation.com. Translation: It was a Good Run!

This week has been rather miserable, until today. Somewhere, some how I lost the desire to run after Tuesday's failed session. Today started much the same. I even comtemplated skipping tonight's run. With some encouragement from my wonderful wife I met the Striders at Terry Hershey Park for Thursday night SMART training. I won't bore you with all the details, but after a short conversation with Steeve and Bessie I started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Bessie and I ran together the last 3 miles and talked at length about my running slump. Bessie knew what I was going through, consequently she knew exactly what to say. The bottom line: I feel energized, both mentally and physically. Thanks Steeve and Bessie. You two Rock!

Schedule: 1-mile warm up, 1 mile at 10k effort, 1.25 mile recover with a "hill", 1 mile at 10k effort, followed by a 1.6 mile cool down.

I'm excited about Saturday's one-mile time trial. My time to beat is 7:09. What a great feeling it would be to go sub-7:00. I don't want to set the bar too high, but I'm hoping for a 6:59. If successful, I can check off one of my running goals for 2006. If I'm not successful we have another time trial in October.

Activity: Run
Mileage: 5.73 miles
Time: 54:16 -- 9:28 pace
Splits:
9:43, 8:33, 10:18, 9:17, 9:27, 6:58 (0.73 mile)
Location: Terry Hershey Park
How I Felt: 10

I'm sure HRB readers are looking at a calendar right now and wondering WTF! Well, we all have choices to make. I'd love to run the HRB vs. 7 Hill 5k challenge, but it does not fit into my current marathon training. Plus, I REALLY want to run the Strider time trial. You can ask most anyone who runs with me and HOPEFULLY, they will contest that I'm taking my marathon training very serious. My last time trial was May 11, 2006. I want to know what improvements I have made (if any). I will also be able to better gauge future performances.

Sorry HRB guys-gals. I wish you luck.

7 comments:

SRR said...

8:33!!! WHO-HOO!!! Don't you feel awesome!! Well of course you do...because you also felt a 10!! I'm so proud of you!goz

Crosstrain said...

Admit it Bill, you don't want to get whupped by an AARP member so you are ducking me :P Seriously, have a strong mile and keep up the great work.

Steve Bezner said...

No doubts you were looking strong last night. Tommorow will be a blast as we try to tear it up. I've never done a time so I don't have a baseline.

Seeya in the morning!

Anonymous said...

Good running, Tex! Onward...

Tomorrow morning will be very conducive to fast running. We'll have the timing equipment out, you'll be running with fast folks and there will be a mob there to cheer you on. Your splits will be 1:45, 1:45, 1:45, 1:44 :-)

Steeeve

Humble Runner said...

Joe, you know there is not a division for your Lark Scooter, right? Just kidding. WISH I were as fast as some of Houston’s AARP cardholders.

Steve B, I felt wiped out after the last time trial. Really cool to know you gave it your all. We'll have a blast

Steeeeeve, you really think sub-seven is possible? I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Bill, I haven't been in as much a funk as you but I was feeling the same last night as you. My run on Tuesday was not as positive experience as I would have liked and I found myself seriously considering not running last night. But like you, I had an awesome run, probably the best to date. Definitely on I would want to remember.

I totally understand what you're saying about the HRB v. marathon training thing. I am supposed to do a 7 mile lsd on Saturday morning. Frankly, I'm soooooo torn between meeting up with the bloggers and doing my Saturday morning at Cullen with the Fit'ers. My solution is to do the 7 miles out there. I'm just going to incorporate the 5K into my training run. So, it's going to be kind of funny. My 5K will most likely be over 48 minutes. Then, I'm going to do the 5K course over. I'll do a mile before the 5K as a warmup to make 7 (7.2 I guess). Anyway, I'll be thinking about you on Saturday. Kick butt, Bill!!! Wanna see you mark that sub-7 off your goals. I'm rootin' for ya, bud.

TX Runner Mom said...

WTG on your run...I love those kind of runs! I hear you on the marathon training vs. challenge. I actually have a chance to meet the Houfit group on time and to run an entire 12-miler. With grad school starting in a couple of weeks, I know I will be doing a lot of long runs solo because my classes will be on Saturdays. So, I feel like I need to make it to as many HoustonFit LRs as possible while I still can...plus, I've only run over 10 miles once this training season. Good luck with your time trial tomorrow!!!