Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Time to Push the RESET Button

I'm lost for words regarding last nights run. The scheduled run was delayed until after the Houston Strider meeting. I started at 11:30 pm. The schedule called for 4 miles with 4 x 30 second strides. The first two miles went good, the strides felt easy. In fact, I wasn't sweating much and my breathing was near normal. At two-miles I came inside the house for a drink of water and something happened. But I don't know what. I kept the water break under 1.5 minutes. Immediately after starting the remaining distance I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck. I made it 1/2 mile and came to a complete stop. Sat of the curb for a minute and walked home. On the first half, everything felt normal, but after the water break I was tight and sore throughout both lower extremities. I'm still sore today. Seems weird at best.

Tomorrow's schedule calls for a tough Boot Camp "C" workout. I think it's best I lay off running today. It's not my style to skip a run. I'm hoping this is what my legs are asking for. I'd love any suggestions. It's still early and I COULD go run. My energy level is a 4 and my soreness level is an 8. Not conducive with a good run.

Activity: Easy Run
Time: ??
Mileage: 2.5 miles
Pace: ~ 9:50? My Garmin was acting weird also
How I Felt: See above comments
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision

For more about last nights Strider meeting, see Steve and Vic's Blog post.
Here's my quick notes. Huge turn-out, Champ's Americana Rocks, yummy Cajun chicken sandwich with waffle fries, visit Houston Half for volunteer opportunities (Andrea along with the website has a list of volunteer opportunities), LOTS of logistics involved in a QUALITY race (7th year RD Barbara Shepard leading the way), WE NEED DOOR PRIZES and or "connections" for the K & L half (email me and I'll get you in contact with Rose), 1/2 way to our goal of forty Strider Cross Country relay teams, Astro tickets available for the last weekend home game (Strider outing), several new members in attendance (from my part of town, Kingwood!), Strider run-Bear Creek 10k/20k, the new Strider sound system is awesome, private details about "Steeve went boom" story, and of course....a bit of trash talking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah, great meeting summary William "Bill". :-) As far as today goes, I think your body is trying to talk to you. It's saying "save it for boot camp tomorrow, boss". Don't give it a second thought, unplanned rest days are definitely a part of the program. Tough workouts on the schedule for Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday, so nasty patch coming up, get ready!

Steeeve

Steve Bezner said...

Good write-up! I'm thinking about cutting back on tonight's run myself. I'm feeling a little sore as well.

Pony and Petey said...

When I feel like that, I ride my bike and put it in a lower (higher? whichever gear where it's easy to peddle but you don't go very far) gear where I have quick leg turnover. I read where this simulates the running movement... try for 180 leg turnovers a minute, like the optimal in running strides.

I had a blast at the Strider meeting too! Except the music was blasting TOO MUCH and I had a hard time having a conversation!

Humble Runner said...

Great advice Pony, thanks!

Yeah the LIVE music next to us was rather loud. Oh well, there were times I enjoyed the music.