Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More Diet Talk

After reading the recent replies to my dieting issues, I think there might have been some confusion. I completely understand weight fluctuations. Generally my weight moves +/- three pounds. The recent weight gain is simply from over eating. Most of which has been less than healthy. Not quite the 21 Big Mac's, as Vic stated... but close.

Here is what I should have asked. For those of you who are over their ideal weight and who run, what are you more concerned with; quality training or dieting? Share your "tricks of the trade" to balance the two? I'm learning what a delicate balance these two are for me. Take today for example. I feel very sluggish. Most of this is a direct result of my poor eating choices over the last few days. It would be really easy to skip today's workout. Sure, I'll feel better after the run, but I have to get there and execute the session. That is where I'm stuck. Had I eaten wiser, I might be looking forward to the session. It's really hard to explain all this. Steve Bezner gave me some of the better advice, such as: fuel your body better after a long run to avoid unhealthy late day choices.

Right now, I count every single calorie and weigh portions sizes down to the gram. It's not fun and it consumes a large part of my day. There has to be a better way!

Vic, you are absolutely correct about the three day weight average. My training log software does the same thing, with one exception.... I have it set for a 7-day average. This week is the first in two months that it has shown a gain. I wasn't just reporting a "Spike" in my weight. This is TRUE weight gain. I'm looking for advice to get back in my Grove. Know what I mean?

Ok, I feel like I'm rambling. Thanks guys and gals! I love all the advice, keep the dialogue open.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I understand. I should have known you follow the moving average thing.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the weight loss side than the performance/running side. The only thing I've been that I think is helping my running and my energy level is eating "big" after a long run. And not just the meal after, I mean all day. I totally consume ALL the calories I burned on the long run. So, for Monday's 7 miler, it was an extra 1,650 calories for me. That's added to my normal target calories of 2,350. So, Monday I ate well.

One other thing I've been doing is to eat fruits high in water content. Watermelon, grapes, other melons. It really fills me up, gives me some good carbs and helps with hydration, all at the same time.

Dude, Steve's the one who knows this stuff. He may not think it's scientific but look at the results.

Sarah said...

I'm heavier than I'd like to be by about 20 pounds. I was at 169 about 2 years ago, but am closer to 185 right now. Oddly, I have gained at least 5 pound since starting my triathlon training -- and I'd say it's more muscle, less fat, except my clothes don't fit any better.

Still, I'd rather feel fit and be a bit overweight than be skinny and unable to run a 5K. When I get down, I remind myself that I can do races and triathlons, and while I may never win them, at least I can do them, which is a lot more than most people can say.

So I guess I go more by fitness than weight.

Anonymous said...

The problem with running to lose weight (especially if you are running for a goal such as a half marathon) is that your body will get more and more efficient the more you run. So you are not burning up carbs, fat and the like as you did when you first started.

Maybe the time is right for some cross-training.

Pony and Petey said...

Hey, Pony here...I've been in the maintenance phase for 2 years now. I always felt like I was on the verge of totally losing it if I didn't write everything down and weigh and measure and count. Then I read about intuitive eating and have applied those principles and I've done that for the past 2 months and things are going GREAT.

And after moving here to Houston and living so close to Bear Creek Park, I've actually lost 2 lbs!

As for what to concentrate on, I think they have to be equally important, equally balanced. They both feed off of and depend on each other. You'll run better and easier as you lose weight and that will make you feel better so that you want to run more...and be more active in general.

The only other advice which I know you know already is to eat high-quality, as close to nature foods, as possible. But without denying yourself your favorite foods and treats! This is where IE (Intuitive Eating) works so well. It's all about eating until you're full and not going past. So I've been having ice cream every day but only a couple bites, just enough to satisfy me. Sure, I'd rather eat a great big bowl but then I KNOW I wouldn't be able to eat ice cream every day! So I choose to control the portion and be able to eat whatever and have the freedom to not weigh and measure everything.

One clarification...when I was in the losing phase, I would not have stopped weighing and measuring, so this information might only be useful to you when you start maintaining.

Hope something I've said helps... I'm rootin' for ya!

SRR said...

See My email cupcake...