Sunday, August 13, 2006

Early 10-miler

Up and out of bed at 4:30 am to squeeze in ten miles before work. The weather was... shall I say, pleasant? Upper 70's, less than normal humidity, and a delightful breeze for the first half hour. The schedule: 2-mile warm up, two whatever miles, 4 miles at marathon pace, and two mile cool down. I just read Steve Bezner's blog and he reported silly walks as part of today's schedule, whoops forgot'em.

When I took off, both knees were KILLING me. If you don't believe me, look at my pace for the first mile. My knees even looked swollen, but that may be my imagination. The pain started dissipating after the first mile. In fact, the faster I ran the less pain I felt.

This was one of those workouts where my only objective was to finish. Didn't concern myself with pace (except the 4-miles at marathon pace) or time. Coach Matt advised me to watch the amount of time I spend on "water breaks" as to not allow my heart rate to drop. So, every 1.5 miles I stopped for water and immediately hit the road again. The water breaks were in the area of 2 minutes or less. I think the slower pace helped, because it was an enjoyable run! Boy, am I glad to be out of that running slump.

Activity: Long Run
Mileage: 10 miles
Time: 1:40:09 -- 10:00 pace
Splits (left to right):
11:13, 10:38, 10:33, 10:53, 9:21,
9:08, 9:00, 8:54, 10:00, 10:25
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9.5

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smoooooth running, Tex, and the tempo segment looks excellent. The weather was forgiving this morning, good stuff. Much the same crowd this morning as for yesterday's time trial, and everybody did the workout in good order.

Erin gets an A+ for the photos!

Steeeve

Steve Bezner said...

Yeah, great run. I just happen to want to do the silly walks this morning as I was looking for a break.

I'll second the weather. It was actually pretty good for me as well.

Keep it up!

Yeah, an early riser running buddy would be nice, as I was up 5:00 this morning myself, although not as early as you!

SRR said...

Running slumps SUCK!!!

Unknown said...

Great easy run, Bill. Glad you enjoyed the easy pace. You deserve it.

TX Runner Mom said...

I wish I had the answer to your weight loss/training question. I have been pondering this as well. BTW, way to go on your time trial!!!