Wednesday, August 30, 2006

6 miles

I'm following the SMART schedule with one exception, I take Monday and Friday off. The Lite schedule has an extra day off and occasionally a few less mile's. For example, SMART-Lite is scheduled four easy miles and SMART is scheduled six easy miles. In other words, I'm trying to complete the full SMART, but I take Monday's off. I'll call it SMART-Lite version 1.2. When I feel better and/or the weather permits, I plan to return to running six days a week.

As everyone on the Gulf Coast knows, summer has loosened its grip resulting in cooler temperatures and lower humidity. When starting today's run my legs felt heavy and sore from yesterdays interval training. Near the half way point my abdominals and obliques started aching. Again, this may be due to yesterdays workout (Core Training). No bitchin', simply more proof that yesterday's run was a good session. In fact, I think today's run was rather good too. Every mile was a negative split. I set out to slow jog the miles, but found myself pushing pretty hard. I spent time working on my turn-over.

I'm getting excited about Mondays 5k race. Anyone else running the Fired Up 5K? Keith has set my over and under time at 25:20. Looking through my training log makes it seem unlikely I'll run my goal time of 24:48. On the other hand, I'm fairly confident I'll see a PR. If I've learned anything, it is there are no guarantees concerning my running.

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 6.0 miles
Time: 58:26 -- 9:44 pace
10:39, 10:22, 9:49, 9:23, 9:20, 8:53
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9

5 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Yeah that weather is awesome!!!!

I'm doing the Fired up 5K! I'm looking forward to smashing last years's time, but I don't think a PR is in the cards. Although I'm giving some serious thought to skipping the Sun. run to rest for Monday.

Crosstrain said...

Bill, I'm definitely in the under camp. Go for it!

Unknown said...

In the interest of stoking the fire, I say "OVER!"

Anonymous said...

Hey Willie,

I note there's no discussion around whether you'll PR. Believe the concensus is you can take that one to the bank.

Oldies show unity in taking the UNDER.

Steeeve

Anonymous said...

Bill,
It was great seeing you out running again this week. YOU ARE DOING GREAT! Have a super run on Monday and remember how far you have come in a year. Pat yourself on the back and kick asphalt!!!

Bess Wright