Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Opening Night


Yikes, opening night of SMART marathon training was TOUGH! Up to this point, most of my training has been mentally hard with a smaller emphasis on physical fitness-toughness. Everything changed tonight. I showed up with a fair mental game, but it didn't take long to realize that I needed much, much, more to get me through this workout session.

I struggled tonight. The numbers reveal that I went out too fast on my 2-mile warm-up run. During Boot Camp, we did a routine called "Squat Thrusts with Burpees". For some reason this particular exercise caused me A LOT OF LOWER BACK PAIN. Trying to "Deal" with the pain I focused on slowly moving through the motion, which enabled me to complete both sets of 12. I'm worried, because this was a "nerve-type-pain" and shot down the back of my legs.

Steeve, Barb, SMART Coaches: You all did an excellent job and it shined through tonight! I'm proud to be a part of the Third annual SMART Training Program. Let the fun begin!
Coach, I'll give you all I have and I promise NOT to quit you, but you owe me a 4-hour marathon. :-) Hope you don't mind me pinching your group picture.

Activity: Run. Included Silly Walks, Strides, and Boot Camp-A
Mileage: 5.52 miles
Warm Up: 2-Miles: 9:00, 8:52
2 strides and 4 x 400 Intervals: 1.52 miles -- 8:16, 4:38 (0.52 miles)
Cool Down: 2-Miles: 9:54, 9:53
Location: Terry Hershey Park
How I Felt: 8

For those of you wondering... I didn't make my PRE-SMART goal weight. I weighed 201 this morning. Who the hell knows what is going on. It's disheartening, but it won't keep me down.

4 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Nice job Bill.

Don't worry about the weight, keep eating right and after a few more of those "Boot Camps" you'll be many pounds below the 200 pound mark.

Anybody sore this morning......

Anonymous said...

Way to go, William! Nicely done on opening night.

Dude, don't do the squat thrusts if they bother your back. That's what laid you low for a couple of weeks a while back.

Mystery - I sent out the opening night photo cropped but it uncropped for you. What's up with that?

Steeeve

Humble Runner said...

I have special powers, none of which are related to running.

Unknown said...

Saw you guys doing Silly walks. I was over at the levee doing a hill workout. Keep working hard. I can't wait to do SMART one day.