Thursday, August 24, 2006

Disappointed

There was a flip in the universe and running has taken the back burner the entire week. I missed another run yesterday. I'm disappointed in myself, but it is not an all-consuming pity. I've been busy at home and running has not been a priority. For the past several months I have put running ahead of nearly everything else. Luckily, I've been able to balance my life when I put off smaller tasks in order to run. Much of this caught up with me this week. I feel like running, truth be known I WANT to run, but the timing has not worked this week. Take last night as an example, I finally found time and decided to run. There I was, searching for clean running shorts when I realized it was after mid-night. I asked myself, "Why am I doing this?". I quickly decided to take a shower and go to bed. Again, I'm disappointed, yet its not a life altering issue to miss a run(s).

I WILL be out at Terry Hershey Park tonight for the SMARTie Hop. I also want the Coaches advice about picking up the missed mileage on Friday. Let me know what you think Steeve.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, are you and I connected in some way. As you saw on my blog, I've been going through the exact same thing (just slower). I know what you mean. Not overly-disappointed, still confident, but still want to get back on track.

If life cooperates, I'm going to try to come out tonight for the SMARTie Hop workout. Steve said it's something I might be able to do. I think that means it's going to be an easy day for you and the regulars and bone-crushing, muscle smashing work for an out-of-shape-haven't-done-any-resistance-training-in-so-long-I-can't-remember guy like me. Still, it sounds like I'm at least going to learn some good exercises to strengthen my ankle and accessory muscles. Hope I can make it. I have shuttle duties tonight for some of the kids' activities. If I can get everybody dropped off early enough to have time to drive out to TH, I will. My backup plan is a 30 minute tempo run at Memorial, close to our church where I'm dropping the kids off.

Later!

Humble Runner said...

Hope you'll make it out tonight, Vic. As you already know, these workouts are a lot of fun.

Jessica attended a session last week, and as you know Steve Bezner and I are usually in attendance. Now, we just need Cassie for a full SMARTie-blogger attendance.

Are there other blogger/Strides out there? No offense, if I missed ya.

Bill D said...

My opinion is to not try to make up training miles. Just get back on your plan. If you lose several days you may want to adjust your mileage down a bit.

Anonymous said...

Geez, that Bill D fella knows what he's talking about. Important considerations: Your training schedule is a ***guideline***, not dictum. If you complete, say, 90% of the schedule you're doing well. Pfitzinger says this quite explicitly in Advanced Marathoning. Gooooo Pfitzinger!And, from a schedule perspective, what's past is GONE, especially when taking a recovery week in August for a January marathon. Take Friday off, grasshopper, no "catching up" on recovery miles. The 13 miler is important, set yourself (life allowing) for a great effort on that one. Besides, you're going to be sore in the morning from the SMARTie Hop :-)

Steeeve

Bill D said...

I may post my Pete Pfitzinger trivia later. We were both wrestlers in Upstate NY long ago. I'm a much better wrestler....he's a much - much - much better runner.

TX Runner Mom said...

I think you've already gotten great advice! Don't worry, life happens...just get back in there and pick up where you left off and things will be fine.

Tiggs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.