Saturday, August 05, 2006

8 Mile LR + 11 Mile Bike

Eight miles with SMART at Terry Hershey Park. The training schedule suggested a 2 mile warm up, 4 miles at marathon pace effort, and a 2 mile cool down. I need to learn how to slow down on my warm up and cool down. My marathon pace is 9:54 and this mornings overall pace was 9:12. The faster pace is great, but when it's time for the cool down I don't have anything left. My cool down pace felt like a 10:30++ pace. I'm still confused about that one. I truly felt like the pace was one notch above walking.

Coach Steeeve recognized the pace issue shortly after the warm up. I was running alone and as he passed me I heard, "You got a looong way to go, William". It felt like I dropped the pace back. Lord knows those small rolling hills were doing their part to slow me down, but the clock doesn't lie. If you take out the warm up and cool down, I ran sub-9:00 minute miles.

The run to Wilcrest is 8.5 miles. I lost nearly half a mile to a walk break at the 7.5 mile mark. Seems like I complain about everything, huh? One day I'm bitchin' about running too slow and the next day I'm running too fast. I just want to do everything right.

It will take awhile for me to do the core workout correctly. It's fun and I liked it, but its rough!

Activity: Long Run with Silly Walks & Core Workout
Mileage: 8.16 miles
Time: 1:15:02 -- 9:12 pace
Splits:
9:21, 9:12, 8:39, 9:02, 9:03,
9:02, 9:38, 9:35, 1:30 (0.16 mile)
Location: Terry Hershey Park
How I Felt: 8

Activity: Bike
Mileage: 11.05 miles
Time: 53:06 -- 12.5 mph
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9

4 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Great Job this morning Bill.

You looked fresh at the end.

I'll agree that the core work-out is rough, but I'll reserve calling it enjoyable for now.

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Top job, chief! Surprisingly nasty workout with the hills, the tempo and the bonus humidity from running alongside the bayou. Not to worry about the core workout, it will become very doable within a couple of weeks.

Steeeve

SRR said...

Look at those splits!! That's fantastic! Good for you!

Unknown said...

Bill, I know what you mean about "wanting to do everything right." It's a lot of fun learning this sport. It's not all just a bunch of stuff you read in a running book. I'm really learning something each time I work out, and I'm not even racing now. You're doing great. Keep posting. I'm learning a lot from you.