Monday, August 14, 2006

I Need Balance

I'm remembering an insightful comment made to me last week; "I know you want it all, but maximum weight loss and maximum running performance may be a bit at odds". The comment makes a lot of sense right now. I've gotten over the running slump, but its been replaced with a diet slump. Actually my dieting dropped off in conjunction with the running slump last week. It is so hard to keep both of these goals in check. If I had to pick one, I am much happier exercising and eating whatever, rather than dieting and blowing off my training. On the flip side, I'd rather weight 175 pounds than run a 3-hour marathon. I'm running to lose weight, not losing weight to run better. Unfortunately, this is not happening right now.

Proud to say there has not been any excessive binging, yet enough calories to put me back at 200 pounds (I made it to 196.5). What to do, what to do? Any suggestions on how to maintain a LONG-TERM balance?

Today's training schedule: 4 miles with 30 second strides x 4. Ran in the hot heat (5pm), because I'm scheduled for mandatory overtime tonight. It was miserable, but I got it done.

Activity: Run 4-mile with 4 x 30 strides
Mileage: 4 miles
Time: 37:50 -- 9:28 pace
Splits:
9:54
9:02
9:34 nauseated for the entire mile
9:20
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 8.5

5 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

Yep, I've found that it's much easier to control one variable. I lost weight doing very little exercise and it wasn't until I starting to run 5k's that I could feel the effects of my caloric reduction on my running. My two cents, for what it's worth, is to simply eat sensible and continue to exercise. Also, if you want a piece of cake, have it and don't beat yourself up over it.

And more...I've also found that if I have a healthy meal after a long run, than I'm not as hungry later. i.e. Run 10 miles, make a couple of healthy trips thru Sandy's buffet line. It's when I limit my post run meal that I later find myself grabbing for unwise selections later in the day. Still with all the running we do, once you hit your target weight it's easier to maintain. Gain a pound one day, but lose a pound the next day after boot camp or some other long run. Sometimes I think it's just temporary gains and losses. I still weight myself each morning and make adjustments for that day, which do allow for some large caloric intake days! (one of the best reasons to run!!)

Your doing great, continue what your doing! Your weight loss is awesome and you'll soon be where you want to be and in a state of maintenance. No Worries! Feel free to ask my opinions, as I have lot's of opinions on this stuff, but they are just my unproven and unscientific opinions.

Go Bill!

(sorry, if I got carried away on my comment)

Unknown said...

"I'd rather weight 175 pounds than run a 3-hour marathon"

Thats just nutty.

Ms Eva said...

I weighed 142 or so when I started running earnestly in August of '05. I now weigh 128. I did drop down to 124 for one week (about a month ago) but it seems regardless of what I eat now, or how much I exercise, I always weigh in at 128. In college psych, I read about 'set point' theory and I totally believe this is true. I'll occasionally drop below or rise above 128... but 128 is me. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
Everyone's weight fluctuates. If you check your math (calorie math), I bet you can prove that the change is just fluctutation and not a calorie issue.

Keep up the good work and try to relax!

Unknown said...

I sure don't have it figured out yet. I do know that if the 3.5 lbs your gained back in the last week were fat, you would have had to have consumed an extra 12,250 calories above and beyond what you are burning with just your BMR + the intense workouts you are doing. Have you eaten an extra 21 Big Macs in the last week? Dude, relax! The weight gain is just fluctuations in water/digestive contents.

One thing I do to combat the trap that I think we're all in danger of falling into (well, those of us that are trying to lose weight) is use a moving average. I don't know if my log is set up for a 5, 7, or 10 day moving average but I don't "report" my actual weight. I report that moving average. So, on a day when I'm down 2 lbs., my reportable weight doesn't change much. I have to maintain that weight for several days in order to see the average really go down. Same with gains. I'll post some sample data on the blog later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Keep up the good work. You rock!!!