Sunday, August 06, 2006

Preventive 4-Miler + Bike

Schedule: 4 easy miles.

I took a couple proactive measures today in order to combat fatigue and injury. The first thing I did was set up a "Virtual Partner" on my Garmin 205. You can add any two variables you want and the watch will display two small runners and let you know how far ahead or behind you are. I set variables for distance and time, 4 miles and 39:45 respectively. The run wasn't as easy as I had excepted, but as planned, I was able to pace myself better. If you like trivia, answer this; Why did I choice 39:45?

The second preventive action I took was running at night. In recent training sessions, the sun has zapped all my energy. And then finally I did my legs a favor by running on the opposite side of the street. Same subdivision route, but a small twist to fend off injuries.

Earlier in the day I did a small bike ride. Nothing spectacular, but I enjoy the freedom of exercising in the middle of the day. The bike is the only means which allows mid-day training in early August, Houston nonetheless.

Activity: Easy Run
Mileage: 4.0 miles
Time: 39:34 -- 9:54 pace
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 8.5

Activity: Bike
Mileage: 7.05 miles
Time: 36:13 -- 11.7 mph
Location: Woodland Pines Subdivision
How I Felt: 9

Weekly mileage ending 08.05.06: 34.44 Miles

5 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

OK, I'll bite, but I won't think too hard on Monday morning.

Because it's just under a 10 min pace?

Humble Runner said...

Wow, the first reply is a WINNER. I'm trying to stay under 10:00/pace. I also put in an extra 15 seconds for security measures.

Pony and Petey said...

Hey Bill...this is Pony from the Striders. I just read your story in the Stridelines and have to tell you that I am GREATLY encouraged in my own struggle with weight. Thanks so much for being willing to share your successes and failures...I will be praying for you too.

I've also bookmarked your blog and look forward to keeping up with your training!

Anonymous said...

Woah, a comment from Pony! Doesn't get much better than that. Pony's a terrific runner, second fastest in her entire family after her brother (John Yoder).

Steeeve

Unknown said...

Bill, very nice run. Keep it up!