Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tom's New Distance PR

Tom, Andrea, and I started the process of planning a long run yesterday evening. Our plans changed several times due to inviting other runners on short notice, rain, and availability of babysitters. In the end, we ran at 9am.

It rained all night and continued through this morning. I desperately wanted to cancel, yet I didn't because other people were involved. There was a feeling of gloom about the run, which I was not looking forward too. I assume it had a lot to do with the dreary weather. It was cold, raining, and I simply didn't feel my typical motivation.

Once we got started my head was free of all the prior negativity. Fifteen miles would be a distance PR for Tom, so we kept the pace nice and easy. The route was not planned beforehand. Armed with my Garmin, we simply ran around Kingwood. Nothing spectacular or scenic, just the usual roads and greenbelts in the 'hood.

The run turned out to be quite pleasant. The rain reduced to a slight drizzle, after ten miles the rain completely ceased. The sky was overcast and the temperatures were cool, which was ideal for a long run. Andrea and Tom talked most of the time. I merely pounded out the mileage. I've not been in a talkative mood and often to flows over into my running.

In the end, it turned out to be a great run. Tom has a new distance PR and I'm really proud of him. The only bad news to report is; Andreas knee is bothering her. I'm reducing her mileage this week in lieu of cycling. With any luck the knee will behave itself.

In non-running news... I almost went under the 200 lb mark this morning. I weighed 200.5!!! The post long run "free-meal" will surly delay going under 200 lbs for a few days. I'm okay with that, but I'll be glad when the "200's" are in my rear-view mirror. FYI: I weighed myself AFTER the run and weighed 199, but it doesn't count.

Run:
15.11 miles
3:02:32
12:05 pace

Walk (cool-down):
0.22 mile
4:03
18:25 pace

No comments: