Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bad Run

Ran eighteen miles with Kevin and Tom this morning. I remember why I love running trails, because the concrete is b-r-u-t-a-l.

Not a lot went right on today's run. The morning started with me waking up late and skipping breakfast. If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed in bed.

We ran the first nine miles with four other Kingwood FIT half-marathoners. The KWFIT-half group was scheduled to run 11 miles, but Kevin, Tom, and I decided to run the entire 30k distance.

This morning I wore a new Nathan HPL 020 hydration pack for the first time. The fit was nice, but I struggled to get water out of the bite value. The water was there, but I had to work hard to get a nominal amount of water. For this reason I didn't drink as much as I wanted or needed too.

Around 13 miles I ran out of gas. I took S-caps every 30 minutes and Gu every hour, but neither of these items stopped me from falling apart. It was a hard week, so there are a number of reasons why I bonked. These excuses can include all or any mixture of:
-Limited water intake due to the hydration pack value
-Hard mileage this week
-New E2 workout
-No breakfast
-No dynamic stretches before the run
-CONCRETE surface
-Tiny bit faster on the first ten miles

On the last water stop I drank several cups of Gatorade and noticed a significant improvement. Unfortunately, the feeling was short lived... very short. We took 0.10 mile walk breaks on miles 15, 16, and 17. Some how I finished. I'm really glad I had the guys there to support me, because I would have done a lot more walking if they weren't right beside me.

When I finished I realized a bigger issue. I hadn't urinated since I left the house 5 hours ago, nor did I have an urge. I was dehydrated. I weighed myself at home, which revealed a four pound weight loss during the run. This week I need to work hard to rehydrate. I've read that it can take upwards of one-week to rehydrate once you've been truly dehydrated.

I sat in a tub of cold water for a 30-minute soak and realized the new hydration pack rubbed a raw spot on my back. Needless to say, I'm not happy at the moment. This run beat me up. On the bright side... it's DONE.

Run:
18.28 miles
3:42:43
12:10 pace

We had a tasty and "somewhat" healthy lunch at New York Pizzeria. Once we got home, Preston and I took a nap while Andrea ran.

This evening we attended a Couples Bridal Shower that was thrown for us by Heather. The event turned out to be no more than dinner with a few friends. I think Andrea's feeling were hurt. Andrea has lots of friends that she would do anything for, yet only a few took the time to attend her shower. I feel her pain, because I've been there. At one time I had a lot of people around me that I called friends. It didn't take a rocket scientist to realize they were only my friend when it was convenient to them or when they needed something of me. A few years back I axed all those people from my life and I don't have a single regret. She has to find a path that makes her happy. Tonight she learned that most of the people she loves are merely Fair Weather Friends. Sad to admit, but true.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I heard just the opposite on hydration from a seminar I attended by Dr. Cianca, medical director for the Houston marathon. He said you can recover from dehydration within a few hours. As soon as you drink and are peeing again, basically you're rehydrated. Hmmmm.

Dude, I had the invite to the shower sitting on my desk to remind me that I definitely wanted to be there. The big mistake I made was not putting it on my calendar. CRAP!!! I'm so sorry I did not make it a priority. Jan and I really wanted to come. Can we have another one? :)

K said...

Great to see you Saturday morning. I had a great run until the last 3 miles. My running partner had some knee issues and we slowed way down. I too was reminded why I love the trails. My legs were killing me for days!

Looking forward to running on ice tomorrow in Huntsville!