Monday, November 16, 2009

Low Blood Sugar

We’ve seen several “cool fronts” over the last month, but today we were treating to the season’s first COLD front. Once the rain stopped, it turned out being a beautiful day. Seriously, I love this weather!

Andrea and I ran a weird route through Kingwood to get our seven miles. The cooler weather yielded a swift pace. Not only were we running fast, but I ran comfortable with energy to spare!

Run:
7.0 miles
1:09:17
9:53 pace

Walk:
1.18 miles
19:04
16:09 pace

Upper body workout in the gym. It's funny how much Texas weather changes in 24-hours. Yesterday I had to turn on the gym fans because I was getting warm. Today I had to close the big door to keep the cold breeze from blowing inside.

Workout went as planned, although I started feeling bad near the end. I needed a mere five extra minutes of cardio, so I rode my trail bike around the block.

Once I completed my workout I rapidly became ill. I felt nauseated and my stomach was in knots. I sat my desk for 20-30 minutes hoping the feeling would pass, but it didn't. After taking a warm shower I made an attempt to eat the meal Andrea prepared. Miraculously, I felt better within 3-4 bites of food. Apparently my blood sugar dropped, even though I had consumed ~1400 Kcals before dinner.

I'm glad I'm feeling better, but I can't help from wondering why I had an acute drop in energy. Hypoglycemia most often has a gradual onset. I felt awesome all day and the crappy feeling hit me like a brick wall, all at once. I'll check my blood sugar at work tomorrow. Maybe that will give me piece of mind.

An hour after dinner I had enough energy to complete a Core Workout. It's sad how weak my core has become. Lucky for me, core workouts are quick to improve with a little attention.

Workout:
Mid-Body + Core

Trail Bike:
1.17 miles
6:10
11.38 mph

No comments: