Thursday, October 01, 2009

Urban Hike

Donned my Keen hiking boots and walked 5 miles through Kingwood. I walked along the greenbelts, but not actually on the concrete. The Keen's are probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

Worked up a sweat during the mid-day walk. I like Fall , but I do not like 20 degree temperature swings. As a reminder that it is not truly Fall, I had an issue with mosquito's today, which is something I've not dealt with in a few months. The issue probably was the result of me walking in the grass and stirring them up.

Walk (hike):
5.34 miles
1:27:41
16:25 pace

Dreaded the run all day. I'm glad things worked out the way they did. Andrea and I ran the bayou at sunset. We followed a creek for 1.5 miles before turning around. It was completely new territory and not well traveled. It's an amazing feeling running a route you have never ran before, while in knee high grass and watching a beautiful sunset. We timed the 2-miler run perfectly with just enough light to see our way home. Beautiful run and a perfect end to a challenging week.

Run:
2.03
23:58
11:49 pace

For the last couple months Andrea and I have been shifting our diet towards plant-based foods. A few weeks back we set October 1st as or officially kick-off date to a vegetarian lifestyle. We felt the need for a transition to learn how to shop, cook, and learn what we can buy when eating out. We're excited about the new changes. True to my usual self, I treated the last week like the scene of the "final meal". I ate more meat than usual and I can honestly say I feel like shit!

My biggest obstacle has been people and their responses when they learn of my diet choice. It's amazing how judgemental people are. I'm not asking them to stop eating meat, yet they get very defensive towards MY DIET. A friend of mine who is vegan, told me a little trick... When they ask me, "Why don't you eat meat?", I tell them, "For medical reasons". They seem to accept that response and don't seem quite so judgmental. And I'm not lying.... this is for medical reasons. If I continue to eat as I always have I will continue through life obese and likely suffer from diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and a long list of other ailments I want no part of.

I'm afraid this might be the first week I don't lose any weight due to the influx of meat into my diet. Don't read this wrong, I didn't binge or anything, just a little more meat than usual. I feel 100 times better when I'm consuming plant-based foods and it's evident in my training. On the other hand, I feel like I swallowed a center block when I eat lots of meat, which results in sluggish capabilities both mentally and physical.

No comments: